7 | Program

Feeling like a zombie the next morning, I got ready for work within an hour and was out the door by 8:30.

It was Friday, and the anxiety of expecting another visit from him was very much present. I had no idea what to expect considering he came unannounced the night before after expecting him to come today. Would he come again? And most importantly, did he have a key?

The thought of him having access to my own apartment sent a shiver down my spine.

"Amelia, would you see me in my office for a moment?" Came the voice of my boss. I looked up from my computer with slight confusion. "Everything alright sir?" I studied him waiting for a response. I had done everything he'd asked of me and more, what could possibly be wrong?

"Oh of course, just a little check up meeting on how things are going," he smiled politely and headed towards the direction of his office. Feeling a little nervous I stood, shutting my computer down for the moment.

Following closely behind I kept my head low and eyes trained to the carpet as we walked. I wasn't sure what he really wanted to talk about and that made me nervous.

"Please take a seat, I'm just going to grab your file," he said with a gesture of his hand in the direction of the empty chair in front of his mahogany desk. Shuffling my feet, I took a seat and watched as he rounded to his large black chair behind the desk.

"How are you liking it so far? Everything going good?" He asked with interest, keeping his eyes focused to his hands which where reaching for a file cabinet.

I swallowed and responded politely "yes, everything is great so far."

"That's good to hear, I just wanted to follow up on your recent hiring...," he started and looked up to me after he laid out the file. "I noticed you had no prior education, but your hard work and dedication to every task has not gone unnoticed."

I was very confused on where this was coming from or where it was going, but non the less, I was polite.

"Thank you Mr Kennedy, I appreciate you noticing," I smiled with a tinge of color popping onto my cheeks with the compliment.

"You must be confused as to why I'm telling you this, so I'm going to go ahead with it," he smiled back at me and pulled out a piece of paper.

"One of our partnering companies offers a program to those interested in furthering their education in business. Seeing as I'd love to promote you to a higher level position in this company, I firmly advise you to check it out," he finished while handing me a paper.

Wow. That was not what I was expecting. A promotion? I liked the sound of that.

Lost for words I said, "wow, I don't know what to say." And it was true, I was at a loss for words. No one has ever recognized my hard work, and it felt liberating in a sense... like it was paying off.

"Now, seeing as I am pushing for you to register into this program. The company will take care of all program expenses, as long as you complete the program to the end." He gave a soft smile and handed me another paper which looked like an application of sorts.

"I'd be honored to enter the program and further my education, of course I'll sign up," I said while beaming, not being able to control my raw excitement.

"That's great to hear Ms Rhodes, I advise you to look over the application and program description, and then after the weekend, bring it back all signed," he said while closing the file and placing it back in the drawer.

We stood at the same time and I reached over to his extended hand, "thank you again for the opportunity, I will work diligently to complete the program." I smiled as he took my hand giving it a shake.

As I exited the office, I made sure not to forget the paper he had handed me. I couldn't keep the smile off my face. A promotion? And free education? My dream.

Smiling, I returned to my desk and rebooted my computer.

It was nearing the end of my shift and I couldn't wait to get home and review the program. I was excited to get started and wanted to know when I could start.

When it finally did end, I gathered all my things and turned off my electronics. Waving goodbye to the other receptionist Ellie, I headed out the door.

A quick taxi ride, and a rush up the stairs and I was home. Throwing my stuff on the counter nearest me, I took the papers and sat at the dining room table.

Shivering at the thought of what went on here just the night before, I got distracted for a split second. His eyes haunting the back of my mind and his promise to monitor my every move an ever present thought.

Shaking my head, I took out the papers from earlier. Scanning over the program name, Business Do's and Don'ts, very original. Reading the description it seemed to me mirroring a basic business class except it was more of a broad overview. It covered the basics and I think that's all I really needed. Reading through the full description and expectations I turned towards the application.

My heart stopped, and a breath of air caught in the back of my throat. How had I missed this? How had I missed the name of the company offering this program... and more importantly how did I miss his name.

"Brown Industries welcomes you to Business Do's and Don'ts under the instruction of well known CEO; Dante Brown."

No. No no no no.

How could I be so oblivious to the owner of the program. There was no way I could just go back on my word now? With the promise of a promotion at stake, I had to sign up. But it didn't mean I wanted to.

I re-read the paper at least 3 more times ensuring I was seeing it all correctly. Of course I was. I just couldn't believe it.

But. Just because I made some promising deal with Dante Brown, did not mean I had to cower away from him. If anything I should change my whole outlook. I should be making him nervous. Showing up to that program with the knowledge of his uncalled for assault would be leverage.

There was the point that he also held something close to me. That I wanted no one I cared about finding out. But that's minor, and it's only if I spoke up about that night which I had no intention of doing.

So I'd use the fact and the power I had something on the great Dante Brown. And I'd use it wisely. Smirking to myself I finally felt as though I had the right outlook on this situation. There was still a shudder of fear and intimidation that came with the thought of Dante Brown. And I was sure it wasn't going away anytime soon. But I pushed it down.

Sighing, I gathered a pen to my right and filled out all my information. Signing my name at the end with a personal message.

"I look forward to this program and am delighted to learn under the great Dante Brown. His reputation is unscathed, not a bad report, and because so... l'm honored. I look forward to our first meeting.

Sincerely,

Amelia Rhodes."

Smirking down at the double meaning behind my words, only myself and Dante will get, I placed the pen down. He may hold the power in knowing my past, but I hold to power of his reputation and integrity. And one bad report, is still one bad report.

____________________________________
Authors Note.,

Hello, I just want to say, I'm trying to put these chapters out as fast as I can.

I want to keep this story fresh and current, which is why I try writing whenever I can.

But, I am a full time student in university so I will do my best with the current schedule I have :/

Thank you again,
Jenna Xx