31 | Talk

"I'm sorry you had to find out like this..." Mari said softly.

I was in shock but most importantly scared.

All these years I thought he had stopped, thinking I'd be a lesson for him to stop what he had been doing. But he didn't, and he continued to do it which I can't help but feel is also my fault. If I had just said something when it all happened instead of running, this would all be different.

"Amelia stop blaming yourself I can already see you doing so," Mari shook her head and grasped my hand. "You were also a child, you can't blame the fact you were scared of what happened after you escaped your nightmare."

"If I had just said something when you and your family wanted me to, he never would've done it to anyone else." I whispered, blinking away tears.

The waiter approached our table setting down the glass of bourbon I had ordered and proceeded to take our dinner orders.

I wondered how much Dante had known now. After all, his mother was the lead on the case so he must know something and just the thought of him finding out about that part of me scared the shit out of me.

"Stop blaming yourself." She shook her head and reached for her glass clearing her throat. I reached for the bourbon and took a large gulb.

"Does Dante know?" She whispered, placing the glass back down. "No," I shook my head, meeting her eyes. "He knows about changing my name and running from foster care but he doesn't know the why or how."

She studied me for a moment and then nodded.

"Well I think you should tell him. I think he should hear it from you. I'm not sure what your relationship is but I think it'd be easier for him to hear it from your mouth than from that of his mothers." She finished.

She was right. Not that he deserved or had a right to know or dig through my past. But that I should be the one to tell him before his mother digs deep enough to reveal my true name along with its backstory and he would immediately recognize the name. I'm sure I'm already on a list somewhere in the case file.

My head spun at the thought of everything I worked to keep in my past all come forward within a matter of weeks and on national television. I'm sure a case like this was front page news.

"Let's just enjoy dinner, we can talk more after." Mari said with a smile and I just shook my head in agreement.

Our food arrived quickly and we ate in a nice silence with an occasional conversation here and there. She told me about her life and how she had gone to Boston University for college and then proceeded to seek a career in journalism. She got a pretty amazing job offer in New York which is why she's here now.

"And your parents? How are they?" I smiled softly while opening the door for her as we exited the restaurant.

"Good! Very good. They still live up in the Boston area but they visit often." She thanked the valet driver as he brought her car around.

"I want to tell them I've found you Amelia, but I think we should wait." I watched as she turned the car on and then looked over to me. "They deserve to know you're alright but I know you need time to process all this so I'll respect that. But just know they deserve it."

She put the car and drive and slowly left the valet.

"Of course. Just give me a few days to take this all in." I sighed meaning my head on the window. "You and your family deserve a novel's worth of apologies and explanations, and I want nothing more than to give that to you. And I will." I looked back to Mari.

"I'm glad I've found you again Amelia. I've fucking missed you." I cracked a smile at her words and she just smiled brighter.

"Now tell me where the hell you live." I shook my head and rambled off my address and then proceeded to give her directions.