38 | Number 7

Dante

"Hey mom" I answered bringing my phone up to my ear.

I was expecting her to call soon. We hadn't talked since the weekend but with the way things ended, it sort of left an open invitation for better communication. I made dinner with my parents for the first time in a long time on Saturday. It was full of awkward conversations and underlying tension but it was an important step to a hopefully new normal.

"Hi hun, just calling to check in. We loved having you!" She exclaimed happiness dripping through her voice.

"Well, I enjoyed myself mom." I said quietly. Working on being better at communicating with my parents after years of radio silence would be difficult, but it was needed. I guess meeting Amelia and understanding her past really opened my eyes to the world and how ignorant I had been. Not everyone can experience the love and comfort of two parents and because I had two who loved me, I needed to do better.

"That's good to hear, we'd love to see you again." She said and I could hear the smile.

"Sounds good mom. How are you feeling about the court date tomorrow?" I asked.

"Stressed, but feeling good. The evidence is substantial and no doubt he will be put behind bars." She said firmly. I smiled at that. Good. The fucker better rot.

"That's really good to hear." I started. Well here it goes, might as well ask. "Is there anyway we can get live stream footage in the court room?"

"We?" Fuck. I fucked up adding the we part. Of course my talented lawyer mother wouldn't miss it.

"There is someone I know who is personally connected to this case. I'd just like for her to see the ruling." I whispered out running my hands through my hair. I really didn't want to sit here and talk about my relationships with my mother. Although Amelia had become someone important to me in such a short time, a phone call with a mother I'd abandoned for months wasn't the route I'd like to take when introducing her.

"I don't know hun, I can try. So... who's the girl?" She said accusingly.

"No one mom. Thank you for trying, I'll keep in touch." I quickly said.

"I'm not letting this go Dante! Call me soon, and with an answer to my question!" She laughed and then hung up on me.

Smiling down at my phone I shook my head. I couldn't remember the last time I had such a casual conversation with my mom. One without the torment of Lily's death in the back of my mind.

I hadn't talked to Amelia since last night when I dropped her off at Mari's. I hoped she'd call me and let me know it went okay, but all I got was a text confirming she had gotten a ride home late last night from Mari herself and that she didn't need me to pick her up.

I've come to the realization that life was too short to stop yourself from moving on to bigger and better things. Losing my sister Lily should've been my wakeup call. But I've been stubborn and hurt. I've succeeded in my business empire, I've made a name for myself in this world. But have I really lived since Lily's death?

So I picked up my phone again and texted Amelia.

Me: I'll pick you up from work. Leaving now.

Shoving my phone into my back pocket I gathered my suit jacket and pushed my arms through. It was almost 5:30 and I had just finished whatever paperwork I had needed to do today. The excitement that flooded my veins at the thought of seeing Amelia was a tell tale sign that I was in fact whipped.

Grabbing a special file on my way out, I made sure to say goodnight to my assistant and then headed for the door.

I had plans to see Rodney on Friday, since I haven't spoken to him in a bit. Everything with the case taking up my time these past few days. He hinted that him and Tatum had a sort of celebration night in mind. That is if everything goes according to plan tomorrow. Which it will. It has to.