11. Putting x Pieces x Together

"Thank you," Milumi nods as a butler places a steaming cup of tea before her. The butler simply nods before he walks out of the room and shuts the door behind him, leaving them alone.

The four of them sat in a room at the far end of the hallway within the butlers quarters. It was painting a pale yellow and held a large fireplace as well as three large couches and a coffee table in the center. It was covered with various snacks for them. There was two windows in the far back that looked out into the trees.

"Dad isn't wondering where you are?" Killua asks, pulling open a chocolate bar.

"No. As far as he knows, I'm on a job," Illumi replies. He sat across Milumi while Gon and Killua sat between them on a separate couch.

"So what now?" Milumi asks.

"I'd like to ask you about what happened the night you went missing," Illumi replies, his eyes meeting Milumi.

Milumi gulps and they all notice her gaze dart down to the surface of the table.

"Milumi?" Gon whispers.

Milumi's hands clench as she glances at him. His soft brown eyes meet hers and she sighs as she laces her fingers together.

Milumi leans back into the couch and crosses her legs with her eyes shut. "Okay."

"What happened?" Killua asks. He leans forward with his elbows propped up against his knees. "All of it."

"Well," Milumi says quietly.

Illumi watches her closely and sees how she plays with her pinky finger, a habit she's had since she was younger. He had always seen her do it when she became nervous.

Milumi takes a deep breath. Her eyes stayed shut.

"I had just won my last match of the night."

~~~

Milumi's heart pounds as she steps off the stage. She had sweat along her skin and her body was flowing with adrenaline. Her last opponent had been tough and certainly didn't take it easy on her.

Yet she managed to beat him with a quick attack to the midsection and knock him out of the ring.

She smiles to herself as she skips into the main hallway. It was empty due to everyone being in the arenas for the last matches of the night.

Milumi spots Gon's arena just a few doors down and so she decides to watch. She yawns as she walks, her shoes gently clicking against the floor.

Suddenly, Milumi stops at the feel of a hand on her shoulder.

She glances back to see a man standing behind her.

Chills run up and down her body at the feel of his hand on her shoulder. It felt like her pulse was speeding up every second it remained on her.

He had a large smile on his face, his eyes nearly scrunching. "I'm sorry to bother you. You're Milumi, aren't you?"

"I am," Milumi nods, moving so the man would let go. However, the feeling doesn't leave.

He grins. "I'm pleased to meet you. I've watched your matches since you first started and I'm impressed."

The man had long pale blonde hair and emerald green eyes. His skin was extremely pale and he looked frail. He wore a green button up shirt with black pants.

Milumi smiles and nods. "I appreciate it. I'm on my way to watch my friend, if you'll excuse me."

"Of course." The man nods and Milumi bows once before she turns and walks away.

As she walks, she can still feel his eyes on her back. The ghost of his hand could still be felt on her shoulder."

•••

"And after that, I went to watch Gon. I don't remember anything after that besides waking up in a room that wasn't mine," Milumi says.

"You think it was him?" Gon asks.

Milumi rubs her arms. "I do. But the man that held me captive never showed his face."

Illumi says nothing and he stands up before he walks out the door, shutting it behind him.

"I'm gonna kill him."

Milumi and Gon look at Killua to see he had his fists clenched in front of him. "That guy that did this to you is dead."

"Killua-"

"No! He made you kill and now you're wanted. Don't you get that?! If we catch him, your name will be cleared," Killua says quickly.

Milumi nods a little before she looks back down.

"Those innocent people," she whispers while looking at her hands.

Killua stands up and walks in front of her. He kneels down and covers her hands with his own, forcing Milumi to look him in the face.

"You did nothing wrong, you hear me?" Killua snaps. "It wasn't your fault."

Milumi blinks and nods a little.

"We'll find him, Milumi," Gon smiles as he stands beside Killua.

"For now, we should get to bed," Milumi says. "I can tell you more in the morning."

"There's spare rooms in here. We can leave first thing tomorrow. C'mon," Killua moves to open the door when Illumi beats him to it.

The older brother looks at the three of them. "Your rooms are ready."

Gon and Killua walk out past Illumi when he pushes Milumi back and slips back into the room and shuts the door, locking Killua and Gon out in the hallway.

"Illumi!" Killua shouts, pounding on the door.

"What do you want?" Milumi asks, looking up at the older. Her blue eyes looked tired and her shoulders dropped.

Illumi looks down at her. "The man. You didn't recognize him at all?"

"No." Milumi replies. "I didn't."

"I see," Illumi sighs. "Well, I'll be staying with you for the night."

Milumi scrunches her nose. "Ew. Why?"

"You could've killed those boys," Illumi says. "Do you really think they'd be enough to stop you if that's to happen again?"

"That man won't get in," Milumi snaps. "I'll be fine alone."

She pushes past Illumi to open the door when he grabs her by the shoulder, shoving her into the wall and rattling the pictures. Milumi glares up at her brother.

"I can't have you killing Killua," Illumi says, his dark eyes meeting hers.

Milumi could feel his fingers digging into her skin. She pulls a small knife and holds it up to his neck. Illumi doesn't even flinch.

"I pose no threat to Killua," Milumi growls.

Illumi smirks. "You say that, and yet I'm the one who had to save him."

They both go silent, hearing Killua and Gon shouting on the other side of the door.

Milumi knew he was right.

She could've killed Gon and Killua earlier. Her mind had been tired and her body had surely taken damage, but that didn't stop her from moving and continuing to attack. The man had far too much control over her and she knew it.

"Fine." Milumi mumbles. She drops the knife and Illumi steps back.

He moves to the door and opens it. Killua immediately rushes in and moves to Milumi. "Are you alright?"

Milumi nods. "Of course."

Killua turns and glares at Illumi. "What did you do?"

"Killua," Milumi says gently and he looks at her. "I promise you, I'm fine."

"Come on," Killua says and he grabs Milumi by the wrist before he pulls her to follow him out of the room.

"Actually, I'll be staying with Illumi."

"HUH?!"