15. A x Spiders x Web

Milumi lays on her side with her back against the wall. She was practically crushed against the wall while Illumi took up most of the cot, even as he sat up against the wall with his eyes shut.

Qi had insisted they take it and he slept on the floor beside the door while the small fire's flames popped.

By now, many of the people in the city have turned in for the night and the city had gone silent.

He's lying.

The words burned into Milumi's brain as Illumi had written them out into the air earlier. It had been crystal clear to the two assassins from the beginning.

Milumi lay awake while she pondered why Qi would lie straight to her face. He lied about knowing Nen and it made her question if he had lied about Mikashi. They were both able to realize this when Qi had made the sloppy mistake of trying to cover up his own aura and Gyo and he had most likely seen what Illumi had written.

When Milumi had first arrived to Meteor City when she was younger, the only people to show her absolute kindness had been Qi. He helped her build the hut and taught her everything she needed to know about the City. He had been born and raised here and never saw anything outside of this life.

Mikashi had been the other.

Mikashi had been a blonde boy the same age as Milumi. He wasn't born here, like Qi.

Milumi's thoughts are interrupted by the twitching of Illumi's fingers.

They had little to no time to discuss what they would do since Qi was clearly lying to them, and Milumi didn't know how to explain to Illumi how it was Mikashi she had come to find.

But Illumi could feel Qi was somehow a danger to Milumi.

For now, Milumi wanted to get out before Qi noticed because there really was no telling what he'd do.

The two siblings push themselves to a sitting position silently. They share a glance once they notice Qi's breathing was steady and even. They had been here for nearly three hours now.

Illumi stands and easily walks towards the door and past Qi's sleeping figure with no noise whatsoever. He stands beside the door and waits for Milumi.

She takes a deep breath as she follows Illumi's steps and makes it beside the doorway. Small cricket noises as well as the popping of dying fires echoed throughout the room.

Just as Milumi pulls back the cloth, Qi immediately grabs onto her right ankle.

Milumi quickly reacts and uses her left foot to kick at Qi's hand.

He yells and releases her as his eyes shoot open and he quickly sits up. Illumi grabs Milumi's arm and pulls her out of the hut and into the dark street.

"He's using Nen," Milumi says from behind Illumi's tall form. She looks down at her ankle to see there was an odd handprint burned into the fabric of her pants. "Some type of acid. It's weak-"

Their eyes watch the doorway as Qi comes out laughing.

"Guess there's a reason you're a hunter and I'm not, huh, Milu?" Qi chuckles as he lifts his hand. Judging by the already forming bruise, Milumi had kicked him hard enough to break his wrist.

"Why'd you lie?" Milumi calls as she moves to stand in front of Illumi.

Qi smirks. "I had to. He said if I helped, we'd split the reward money."

Milumi's eyes widen. "Reward money?"

"The Hunters Association have a good price on your head, Milu," Qi whispers with a crazed look in his black eyes. "He told me all I had to do was trap you here and now. But you showed up with this guy."