14. A x Broken x City

Milumi and Illumi arrive into Meteor City after some long hours. Milumi would've been extremely tired, however the thought of returning to the city she once lived in sparked some kind of energy into her veins.

She asked Illumi how he was feeling, and he didn't respond. He stayed quiet and simply followed close behind her.

Milumi explained to him how it may be tough to find a place to sleep that night. When she had lived in the city, she had her own small space. But now she was sure it was either long gone or now occupied by someone else.

She explained for Illumi to remain quiet and let her take care of anything that may come up.

"The main thing is to be polite," Milumi told him. "Nothing should go wrong as long as we maintain respect for the other residents. Oh yeah, and don't steal."

Illumi gave her a look. "Why would I steal anything from a dump?"

Milumi glares. "I'm serious. The people don't like that and they would gladly take your life in exchange."

Nighttime fell over the city, gas lights and lanterns begin to light up the incredibly small homes as the sky turned an odd shade of red and orange. The city was filled to the brim with junk covering nearly everything.

At a quick glance, you'd never guess it was actually a place that was inhabited by people. The closer you looked, the more you could pick out the makeshift buildings and other attributes.

Illumi watched Milumi carefully and only noticed how her blue eyes sparkled at the sight of the wear and tear of the place. She smiled as she rushed ahead and right in.

The tall man followed close behind as Milumi smiled at everyone she passed while waving. Illumi's eyes scanned over everything.

"Where are we headed?" Illumi asks quietly.

"We're going to see if my old place is still intact." Milumi says. "If that's no longer an option, we find something new. We can get rest and meet them in the morning."

"You never told me who it is we're here for," Illumi says.

Milumi sighs. "A friend of mine."

Illumi scoffs. "Thank you for the informative insight."

"Would you just shut your trap and follow me?" Milumi snaps. "If I recall, it was you who volunteered to come with me."

The pair walk for just a while longer before Milumi makes a turn off the already narrow pathways.

"Stay close." Milumi says quietly.

The two of them walk down the slowly darkening pathway. Milumi's eyes stay alert and she slows at a tiny hut near the end of the trash.

"Someone's inside," Illumi says once he notices the flicker of candlelight inside as well as the small string of smoke drifting through the cloth used for door.

Milumi sighs softly and nods before she turns and pulls her hood up. "Right. Come on then."

"Wouldn't it be easier to simply take it?" Illumi questions as he pulls a needle.

Milumi scowls at Illumi. "No. Didn't you hear what I told you?"

"I don't understand. It's not like this place is much anyways." Illumi says as he looks back at the hut.

Milumi turns to glare at Illumi and prepares to yell at him when someone steps into the street.

"Did I hear something about trying to take my house?"