one

people will tell you i'm an avid reader

people will tell you i'm an avid reader. i've always loved the smell of the library. the way the books felt underneath my fingers and the magic of fictional worlds, made me feel at home. well, the books and the librarian, mr kirk scott.

"ah, miss kent, how are you this fine afternoon?" the elderly man asked, with a warm smile. i'd come to enjoy his company. he always had a new book for me to read, and made sure i felt alright.

"i'm doing alright, mr scott. just came to find a new book to read. have any good books to read?" i said, putting down the book i had just borrowed, martinka: thru the eyes of rem. it was a good book. i had been sucked into the fantasy realms of literature.

"well, as of today, many people have been checking out harry potter books. maybe you should read those?"

i nodded at the suggestion. i've never found myself being interested in the harry potter franchise. i didn't like the tweets and the queer baiting, but the world had a big fanbase. i sighed, contemplating if i'd really read the books.

i smiled,"i'll give them a try, mr scott."

i made my way to the fantasy section, a familiar place for me. i ran my hand along the books, the spine of the books, screaming for me to take them. i found the name of the book. i stare at the book, harry potter and the chamber of secrets. i'd heard stories from members of the community.

i sent on the bench in the library, opening to the last page. 

'and together they walked back back through the gateway to the muggle world.'

my head began to spin. i looked up.

welcome to diagon alley.

i stared at the sign. diagon alley? i could've sworn i was in a libary. and some of the people were wearing clothes that reminded me of the 90s. i touched the front pocket of my overalls, my phone and darien's photo were still there. 

i took out my phone, checking to see my location. i knew i wasn't in the library. i turned on my phone and underneath the time. i saw the date, august forth, 1993. that wasn't right. it was february tenth, 2020. what the hell?

my hands started to shake not because i was scared. but because i was uncomfortable. standing in a place i didn't know.

suddenly, i felt myself fall foreward. the ground was soft. weird right?

"are you alright? you fell pretty hard! i'm sorry, i wasn't watching where i was going-"

i sat up, laughing a bit. "i'm fine. it happens."

i look up to see a girl. a very pretty one. she had curly, poofy hair. like it had been crimped. she was wearing a set of black robes, with a red patch with a lion on it. what does that mean?

"are you sure? would you like to come with me to florish and botts? my friends are over there," the girl said with a smile. 

"um, sure."

the girl extended her hand and i grabbed it. her hands were soft and warm. really warm.

"i feel like i should introduce myself. name's avery kent," i said, rubbing the back of my neck.

the girl smiled. "my name is hermione granger! pleasure to meat you, avery!"

hermione granger? that name sounded familier. wasn't she harry potter's love interest? but what?? maybe i just passed out and this is some coma induced dream? 

i wanted out of the crazy dream. this was freaking me out. 

what would darien do in this situation? i couldn't help but smile at the thought. he'd most likely laugh at me for panicking and have the time of his life.

i felt something pop into my front pocket. i then took out a strange item. it looked like a stick, it reminded me of 3rd grade, when we used to play princess and prince. darien would play the princess, and i'd play the prince. it was always our little joke.

"avery, these are my friends. harry potter and ronald weasley."

i blinked. this place was beautiful. books everywhere, benches covered in fluffy pillows. it was a dream come true. this was heaven.

a boy with red hair and freckles waved at me. i waved back. 

"i'm ron weasley. nice to meet you." he had brown eyes, warm ones. just like hermione.  his freckles were expertly placed lining his cheeks. he was tall, surprisingly tall. he wore robes similar to hermione's. where they in some sort of cult?

"kent. avery kent." i look at the next male. he had unkept black hair, glasses, and green eyes. beautiful green eyes. he wore the same robes i had seen the other two were wearing. my eyes suddenly noticed the scar on his forehead. it didn't look all the special. it just looked like plain old scar.

"i'm-"

"-harry potter. yes, i figured." i pointed at the ginger. " since he already said his name was ron, i figured you must be harry potter. though, no offense. you don't look that impressive."

"not look impressive?!" said a confused ron. "you're talking about the boy who lived. the one who survived you-know-who!"

"i don't know who. fill me in." i replied. i suddenly regretted not reading the harry potter books. why was harry potter famous again?

"you know the dark lord? he killed a bunch of people! harry, here survived the killing curse!"

"killing curse, huh," i nodded.

i felt my stomach being to churn. 

people here could be killed by a flick of a stick?