ten

thank god avery wasn't mad with me

she was calm about me being jealous about this situation. why? normally someone would be petty and claim, "you should be jealous!" not her though.

"hermione, for this potion did  this need the wolfsbane?" avery asked, pointing to our potions books. we were sitting in the common room for a late night study session. we were in our night wear, and to my surprise, avery wasn't very good at potions. she claimed she was just lucky.

harry had a detention, something that happens quite often. for mouthing off with snape, again. 

i pushed my bangs out of my eyes, and avery's staring at me. i blinked several times. suddenly, avery turns away and puts in her airpods. avery's fingers gracefully moved across her phone screen, pulling me in. 

i lean over her shoulder, we're going to be friends by the white stripes. was that a band that avery enjoyed?

"mhm," i replied looking back at the parchment. "now what can heal poisons?" i closed the book, so that avery couldn't see.

avery's brow furrowed. her lips became a straight line. 

"something from a goats stomach?" avery's hands met mine and she opened the book. and gasped. " i was right!" she smiled this smile and it made me smile.

"almost, the term is a bezoar. it can heal almost  every poison."

avery nodded, righting the term 'bezoar' down in her notebook. 

"don't they teach this in america?" i asked, closing my book. avery shook her head. "huh."

avery laid down on the sofa, her blond hair acting as a pillow for her head. a sigh slipped out her lips, turning the head of several forth years. blue eyes focused on the ceiling.

"hermione, you know alot about hogwarts, right?" 

i nod. " i'd like to think so."

"then, why does each house have ghosts? we does the slytherins have the bloody baron. why do we have nearly-headless nick?"

for the first time in a long time, i was stumped.  i decided to quote something from hogwarts: a history.

"the castle is a congenial place for ghosts, because the living inhabitants treat their dead friends with tolerance and even affection, no matter how many times they have heard the same old reminiscences. each of the four hogwarts houses has its own ghost.

(actually it's from the wizarding world website.)

"well, that 'bout sums that up, 'mione." 

i looked back at avery who was staring at me once more, my face heating up. i couldn't tell you why i reacted that way, i just did.

"i suppose it does."