four

walking into the great hall, i felt right at home

walking into the great hall, i felt right at home. the beautiful enchanted ceiling, to the four tables for each hogwarts house. it was magical. 

professor dumbledore shot avery kent an odd look. he knew something was up. he'd get to the bottem of this. i just know it.

"hermione, come on. they're about to start the sorting. let's find a good-" ron tugged at my sleeve. but my attention was on avery, as was everyone elses. she was the center of attention even before term really got started. 

we sat down but avery stood with the first years. she seemed out of place. 

"we have a wonderful set of first years. and a transfer student. where did you say you were from again?" dumbledore said, with a smile. his smile was warm. it always was warm. no matter what was going on.

"america. new york city, new york. you must be professor dumbledore," avery loudly said, her voice echoing through out the great hall.

professor mcgonagall motioned for avery to walk forward. as said girl walked, i watched she shoved her hands in the pockets of her jeans. she was nervous. i don't remember being nervous. i remember feeling proud that i was attending a magical school.

i wanted to know what the sorting hat was thinking. its soft whispers just out of reach. 

i was almost put in ravenclaw for my intelligence.

"i know you are confused..." the sorting hat whispered. "..better be.....GRYFFINDOR!"

avery blinked, i could practically hear her heart beat. she sat down beside me, her fingers fidiling with the black robes she wore over here muggle clothing. she seemed confused, and something else? i just couldn't place my fingers on it.

"how do you all eat? there's no food. do you all have to wait for the wind spirits or something?" muttered avery. running her finger along the rim of her goblet.

"wind spirits? what is this some mythological propaganda?" i asked, staring at avery's face. ron and harry told me about how they found avery attractive. her blue eyes and the pale blond hair, the smile. they found it attractive. how? i couldn't say.

avery let a small laugh slip out of those pretty lips. "well, in the the heroes of olympus books, wind spirits brought food out to the soldiers."

i blinked. what book series was that? i've never heard of it. i'd have to do some research during the winter holidays.

"no, it's magic. " 

ron suddenly made a happy noises and i turned my head to see the food appear. i smile, i've always loved the food here. it was delicious.

"whoa, this is like something kim kardashin would eat. it'd go to her ass though. maybe that's where all the food goes?" avery said with a smile as she took a bite of the turkey. her eyes sparkled with happiness.

who was kim kardashin? why did the food go to her ass? this girl was making me rethink all i knew.

"so, you're the new american transfer student, huh?" asked fred weasley. his twin george standing at his side.

avery looked up. "transfer student? wha-oh! yeah that's me! american transfer student!" she said with a smile. i don't what harry and ron were talking about. she just looked like a normal girl. i don't find her attractive. i also don't find liars attractive.

"where are you from?" george asked, sitting in front of us. 

"new york city, new york. "

fred nodded. "so, what do you think of hogwarts?" he didn't have the heart eyes that every boy had when avery stepped into the great hall. he looked normal. not like some other weasley boy i know.

"it's incredible. so much bigger and nicer than my other school." she seemed to be telling the truth. but then again, america doesn't normally send transfer students, without us sending a student over.

and to be a transfer student, you need have amazing marks. i'm not the one to normally judge without knowing the full story. but avery didn't seem like some who'd study all the time.

"though, accent thing is something i have to get used to..?" the blond paused. "what's your name?"

"fred. this is my twin george."

"how the in the hell do people tell you apart?" avery asked looking from fred to george. honestly, i was wondering when someone was going to ask that question. how can people tell the two apart?

"you can't."