eleven

care of magical creatures was one of the classes i was looking forward to

care of magical creatures was one of the classes i was looking forward to. hagrid was teaching the class and he seemed to happy to hear we were his first class.

"hagrid, huh? he's the-" avery was trying to piece her sentence together. but it seemed she was having a hard time. "i got it! he's the games keeper, right?" 

hermione nodded. she was holding the book hagrid had told us to get in the books list for our forth year. it almost bit of my foot, when i was staying in the leaky cauldron. i'd almost forgotten if it weren't for the fact hermione reminded me to stay away from it's teeth.

avery was having an easy time with the book. she was becoming friends with it. how do you even become friends with a book? its a god damn book for crying out loud.

"wait till my father hears dumbledore's got this oaf teaching classes," draco malfoy snickered. he was holding a green apple. a took a bite and stared me down. avery grabbed hermione's arm, as if restraining hermione. both girls had different expressions. hermione looked ready to kill draco, while avery looked calm. 

"shut up malfoy!"

i stepped forward, standing my ground.

malfoy started to laugh and a chorus of 'oohs' and 'ahhs' were heard from the crowd of other students. then malfoy lifted his finger and pointed to the sky.

"dementor! dementor!" 

i turned to see if there really was a dementor. to my surprise, there wasn't. no sign of any dementors. malfoy played me. and i fell for it.

"draco, harry stop. you're acting childish." avery said, letting go of hermione's arm. she strutted in between malfoy and i. her wand's tip kept changing its target, from malfoy to me. "i will not be hesitate to stun both you."

malfoy backed up a bit, as did i. avery was getting pretty good at spells. she was starting to become like hermione. in other words, i feared the worst.

"quite down, students!" hagrid yelled, stomping forward. dead animals hanging from his belt.

he lead us to flattened area, where a large chicken stood. avery let out a gasp and smiled.

"can anyone of ye tell me what this creature is?"

avery and hermione's hands shot up into the air, both girls trying to get noticed. though hermione ended up answering the question, a pretend scowl made its way onto avery's  face.

" it's a hippogriff, professor." 

"correct! five points ter gryffindor!" hagrid said with a smile. "now, would anyone like to pet, buckbeak, 'ere?"

everyone backed up, leaving only me and avery left. 

"miss kent, righ'?" avery nodded. "would ye like ter pet 'im?"

"yes, please!" avery slowly approached him, and bowed. surprising hagrid, who was going to explain the instructions. she extended her hand, buckbeak walking forward to meet her. he put his head underneath her hand, a smile on avery's face.

"would ye like to feed 'im?"

avery took the food from hagrid, and gently tossed it into the air. buckbeak catching it in his beak. 

"you are very sweet, buckbeak. a soft boy." she whispered pressing her forehead to his.

hagrid clapped his hands, as did the rest of gryffindor. i noticed someone else clapping. malfoy. he was clapping, as was pansy. and blaise zabini. slytherins were clapping for a gryffindor. since when did slytherin clap for gryffindor?

avery smiled so brightly, i knew for a fact avery couldn't turn off the veela magic. it just dripped off of her, like water. 

"would ye like ter ride 'im, kent?"

avery's eyes widened. "no thanks, i'm no fan of heights." 

avery walked over to hermione, who was smiling just as brightly as avery had. the two were whispering about something and then avery took out her phone, something she normally did. 

hermione shot me a thumbs up as i walked forward to buckbeak. a million thought were running through my head. this was a dangerous creature. i haddn't touched the care of magical creatures book at all! i did not want to lose my fingers. i needed them for quidditch. how was i suppost to catch the snitch without fingers?!

i bowed and buckbeak did the same.

my heart was beating to loudly in my chest.

i did not want my finger chopped off by the hippogriff.