twelve

this was the first weekend of something called, "a hogsmeade weekend

this was the first weekend of something called, "a hogsmeade weekend." i have no idea what that means. in new york, they're like screw you. skip school if you want to, not our problem. but here? i liked it here.

heads of houses making sure you show up to classes and checking on you if you did not feel well. hogwarts basically seemed to care more about their students then the students cared about themselves.

to attend this hogsmeade trip, your parents needed to sign a note. a permission slip. i dug around in this trunk i had, and came across a folded up piece of paper. this trunk said my name on it. but it wasn't mine. the only things that belonged to me was the og pair of underwear i came with and my phone.

this slip of paper had my mother's signiture. aida kent. even with the swirly 'k' that only she does.

how is my mother's signiture here?

i pressed the note close to my chest and walked out of gryffindor tower. my breathing was soft, and calm. at least my breathing was calm. my heart on the other hand, was not. my heart was going one thousand miles per hour.

a student with curly, brown hair was walking beside me. their brown eyes were calculating, as if they were plotting a million things at once.  a white over-sized shirt hug from their frame. mom jeans covering tan legs, a peach bandage hanging on their elbow.

"um, hi," i began to say when the other student gave me a crooked smile.

"hey, i'm royal," the student said, pushing brown curls out of their eyes. "and you are?"

"avery kent! are you in gryffindor?"

they shook their head. "no, i'm just your average ravenclaw. but i'm a third year same as you, kent." they handed professor mcgonagall their permission slip. i followed in suit.

the two of us made our way down to hogsmeade. 

hogsmeade was incredible. it had little shops and a pub. it was like a tiny village beside a giant castle. i wondered if there were any cotteges for sale. i'm a sucker for anything cottegecore.

"so, avery," royal said, turning to face me. their brown eyes staring into my blue ones. skinny fingers on my shoulders, their hands were cold. the sun was out yet, their hands were ice cold. "have yourself a pleasent hogsmeade day. ciaó."

they turned on their heel, walking toward the other ravenclaw, a look of excitment on their face.

were all ravenclaws like them? odd, cold, and something else, right, insane? like damn, g, no need to freak me out.

i walked toward the area near what people claimed was the shrieking shack. sounds like something outta an arg or something. like the shrieking shack? come on, surely they could've come up with other than the shrieking shack?

hermione and ron were talking. about what, i dunno, get creative. i start to walk over, trudging through the snow. i regret not wearing a jacket. how was that ravenclaw not cold? my ass cheeks are freezing!

"hey, hermione, ron!" i waved, walking over to them. the snow already on my nerves. i hated snow. i never liked the christmas season. my folks were never home. that's the curse of having rich parents.  "where's harry?"

"oh, he needed to get his slip signed. but the dursley's didn't sign it. without the signiture, he can't come." hermione said, fixing her scarf. she stared at me for a moment. "are you cold avery? did you not bring a jacket?"

i shook my head. "i dunno why but i thought it was going to be warm." i rubbed my arms. hermione looked at me before muttering something under her breath and i felt warm fabric around my torso. i looked down. "a jacket? hermione, wha-how?"

"i'm a witch. i have my ways."

her jacket was warm. really warm. and it smelled like ink and parchment. basically, it smelled like hermione granger.

"ah, the mudblood and the blood traitor. house-hunting, are we weasley?" draco malfoy yelled. he was walking with his cronies. what were their names, crabbe? and gargoyle? man, i'm really regretting not reading the harry potter books.

"malfoy, please don't insult them. they haven't done anythin-"

then magic snowballs started flying everywhere. hitting draco, crabbe, and gargoyle. i couldn't help but laugh. back in my old school, snowball fights normally happened on the football field. we had a giant one and that's where people had fights. a lot of 'em. private school fights are a different than public school fights. for starters in public school, people normally don't get that hurt.

but public school?

oh damn that another story. in my first year attending my school, two girls were fighting with each other, when one of them pulled out a pocket knife. she almost succeeded if it weren't for her boyfriend to stop her. fun fact: that girl is now in a mental ward. she started fights left and right, she even started a fight with darien. over a bag of hot cheetos. the hot cheetos weren't even hers, or darien's. they were mine.

i shake my head as the laughter poured out of me. i leaned on the fence of wood. i couldn't help it. magic flying balls. dang, i'm immature. 

"avery," whispered a voice. i looked up. it was coming from in front of me. then harry emerged. like a baby. a skinny, green-eyes baby. with a scar. 

i hit him on the arm, softly. "harry potter, whoa. what are you some sorta god..?"

he shook his head. "an invisibility cloak. didn't i tell you?"

i blinked. "i-no. you forgot to mention it, golden boy." i turn around, to stare at the shrieking shack. " and you could hide a body in there." 

ron looked confused and terrified. 

"why the bloody hell would you want to hide a body?!"