six

"so, lupin, the man on the train

"so, lupin, the man on the train. the man that saved us. is our defense against the dark arts teacher?" i asked, as we walked to said class. hermione nodded, her curly brown hair bobbing as she did.

avery kent was talking with ron. the two talking about something, the converstation (from what i was hearing) was about music. ron had come into the dorms talking about his moment with avery. he said she was an avid listener to love songs. and was wearing promise rings.

a promise ring is not an engagement ring, but it is a declaration of commitment just the same. maybe she was in love with someone? she was wearing both. why would you get promise rings with your lover, just to keep both?

"i'm still not very good with my wand," avery whispered to ron.

ron cracked a smile. "well, in our second year, i broke my wand. so not knowing how to use your wand isn't that bad."

avery gasped, " you broke your wand? that's incredible. yet you can still do magic better than i ever could!" she nudged him, a smile plastered on her face. 

"i highly doubt that," said hermione. she had a look of annoyence on her face. "a transfer student should be able to cast spells at a very good extent."

avery looked upset. "maybe i didn't come here on my own acord. maybe i don't want to be here in europe, her-my-nee!" she didn't turn back as she sat next to malfoy. a spot that i would never have chosen. 

"hermioneeeee! why would you do that? we were just getting to the good part of our conversation! she was telling me about some of the other singers we could listen to tonight." ron seemed upset as he sat down in defense against the dark arts.

hermione scoffed. "i don't apologize for canceling your snogging session."

professor lupin had told us to push the desks to the side and brought out a sort of wardrobe. he removed the lock and instructed us to use the spell, riddikulus. 

hermione seemed confident in her abbilities to use this spell, but lupin called on avery to go first. 

"me? i'm sure someone other than me wants to go first." avery looked around. no one dared to go first. a sigh escaped avery's lips. "fine, but you all are a bunch of vibe breakers."

she stepped forward, her wand infront of her. 

lupid opened the wardrobe, and the creature escaped. i heard hermione whisper the words, 'bogart.'

the bogart turned into a person with a gun. the weapon was pointed at avery's neck. i noticed the white line on the back of avery's neck. 

the attacker wore a cocky, drunk grin. i looked at avery's face, looking for a reaction. and i got one. avery's eyes widened and she shouted the words, "riddikulus!" her voice shook with emotion. and that emotion was anger.

the attacker pulled back the trigger and the bullet turned into sunflowers. they fell to the ground, in a pile of nice smelling of sunflowers.

avery let out a sigh and touched the back of her neck, right where the scar was. how did she get the scar? scars where something big here in hogwarts, i had one. and according to most people, i was the most famous wizard in all of europe.

"neville, are you ready?" lupin asked. neville shook his head but stepped forward.

the bogart turned into snape. i despied him. from his greasy, long black hair, and his hooked nose, and his damn personality. i hated every inch of snape.

"riddikulus," neville yelled, pointing his wand at snape. there was a transformation and snape was now wearing clothing that neville's grandmother was wearing. 

everyone was laughing, but i noticed one laugh that was missing, avery's. she was looking down at what she called a "phone." the white machines in her ears were what she called, "airpods." some sort of hearing machine.

i heard some of the music coming from the "airpods." it was faint. but i caught some phrases.

and i can't get away from the burning pain

i lay awake

and the fallen hero haunts my thoughts

how could you leave me this way?

the bits and pieces i heard seemed to be about someone. who? i couldn't tell you.

"the song's called if you say so and its written by lea michele," avery whispered to me. she must've seen me staring. "it's about cory monteith. an actor who passed away. lea sang it about her fellow glee cast member. i remember hearing about it. it was sad. if you say so were the last words he ever said to her."

"huh, is it a love song?" i asked.

"no, more like a tribute. would you like to hear the rest?" 

i stared at the "phone." how could a song have so much emotion in it?

"sure."

it's been seven whole days

without your embrace

i wanna see your face

i got some things to say

was just a week ago

you said, i love you girl

i said, i love you more

Then a breath, a pause, you said

avery looked at her hand, to the ring. the promise ring. the gold promise ring with the turtle.

if you say so

if you say so

if you say so

"avery?" i asked. she looked at me. her blue eyes shined. "are you alright?" she nodded. seemingly dropping my question. i sighed. "if you say so."