003 | crestfallen on the landing

"JUST OVER THERE," HE SAID AND Jacob walked over, leaving Betty and Newt alone for the first time

He picked up a wheelbarrow full of meat, gesturing for Betty to follow him - which she did.

"Bugger, Nifflers gone. Of course he has, little bugger." Newt said, a slightly aggravated tone as he looked into the nifflers nest.

"Any chance to get his hands on something shiny" Betty said to herself and Newt turned to smile at her as he pushed the wheelbarrow up the small slope.

"I didn't realise you still remembered," he said and Betty laughed, following him onto a slope as he continued wheeling the meat along.

"Of course, this is amazing Newt, I wish I could do what you are doing," she said dreamily as she stared around the room.

He shoveled the meat next to one of his creatures that she couldn't identify. Newt turned to see Betty looking around in awe at the masses of creatures.

"I always was such a big fan of these beautiful and magical creatures, you really got me interested back when we were at school. I always wanted to do some kind of magiczoology or healing but I didn't know how," she explained, letting all of her feelings show for the first time in years.

She had shut herself off to the world when Newt had left school, her friendship with Leta falling apart so slowly as she kept replaying the idea that Leta had gotten Newt kicked out of school.

"I didn't want to work at St Mungos though and there wasn't really any opportunities for young wizards in magiczoology," Betty said.

Newt looked at her, a focused smile on his face as he listened to her side of the story for the first time.

As much as he'd like to say he had moved on, he couldn't. Newt thought about her ever since he left, ever since that unforgettable kiss happened the day that he left. He had thought about her every day, wondering if she was happy or what was going on with her.

"But this Puff," she said, gesturing to the rooms and taking Newt out of his thoughts. She took a deep breath as she turned to look back at Newt. "I would love to do this as a job,"

"Why don't you?" Newt asked and she turned to him, wearing a very confused expression. He sighed, thinking of the right words. "You could join me, I know how much you love these creatures already,"

Betty looked at him. She was seriously thinking about doing it, she wasn't happy in MACUSA, this really was a dream in itself, the dream life and especially doing it with Newt. She sighed, turning to look at him better.