004 | flirting never hurt anyone

THE THREE WALKED DOWN THE STREETS of new York, Newt back in his iconic navy trenchcoat, Jacob in a plain brown one and Betty in a dark green jacket

"I was watching you at dinner." Newt said to Jacob who shrugged his shoulders, looking at Newt and Betty who was on the other side of him.

"Yeah" Jacob said in a very humble voice.

"People like you, dont they, Mr. Kowalski?" Newt said and Jacob laughed slightly.

"Well, I'm sure people like you too?" Jacob said to Newt and he just laughed to himself.

"No, not really. I seem to annoy people." Newt explained and a small awe escaped Betty's lips.

"Betty seems to like you," Jacob said and the two wizards blushed, looking at one another.

"She was really the only one who actually tolerated me," Newt said and Betty looked at him, placing a hand in his shoulder.

"Come on Puff, you know you were my best friend and the only one who tolerated me either," she said, a slight laugh escaping her lips as she said it, realising how stupid it really sounded. Newt looked down at her, a sad look in his eyes as he sighed.

He turned to Jacob, trying to change the subject from their years at Hogwarts, "Why did you decide to be a baker?" Newt asked, changing the subject completely.

Jacob turned and smiled at him, a sad look on his face. He looked at them, thinking about how to say it.

"Well, because I'm dying in that canning factory. Everyone there's dying. It just crushes the life outta you." He explained and he looked at the two wizards next to him.

"You like canned food?" Jacob asked and Newt and Betty looked at one another, shaking their heads.

"No." They said at almost the exact time which made them laugh slightly to themselves.

"Yeah. Me neither." He said awkwardly, as if he was trying to find something to say.

"Thats why I want to make pastries, you know. It makes people happy." He said and Betty turned a corner, leading them towards central park.

"So did you get your loan?" Newt asked and Betty looked at him in confusion, guessing that this was what they had talked about when they first met.

"No, I ain't got no collateral. Stayed in the army too long, apparently, I dont know." He said and both Betty and Newt looked at him in confusion. 

She furrowed her brows as shw looked at Jacob, "You fought in the war?" She asked and he nodded his head, now it was his turn to look at them in confusion.

"Of course I fought in the war, everyone fought in the war." He said, his face laced with confusion at the differences between Muggle and Wizarding wars. "You didnt fight in the war?"