Blueberry Muffins and Sour Patch Kids

"We brought muffins!" Bad exclaimed proudly the moment I opened the front door. Sapnap stood behind him with a grin just as wide. I assumed he helped.

"Did you make those yourself?" I asked.

"Yeah! They're blueberry," Bad replied, letting himself in. He placed the plate down on the coffee table and plopped himself down on the couch. Sapnap followed, taking up the leftover space of the couch and leaving me to stand by the door.

"Where's Dream?" He asked.

"Upstairs coding something."

"Really? Without you?"

"What do you mean?" I ignored the flutter I had since gotten somewhat used to.

"You guys have been inseparable since you arrived." He gave me a sideways look. "Did you do it? Did you finally break Dream?"

It was more like he broke me. Not in a literal way.

"No. We don't have to be together all the time. We are separate people." We actually hadn't been together since the night we kissed. The most he said to me was the day after when he told me after breakfast, "I'm going to code something for a friend" and then left, never to be seen again until I came up to bed.

"Did you guys have a fight or something?" Bad asked.

"No. Why do you guys think something happened? Nothing happened." I leaned against the door, tapping it with the pads of my fingers. They both stared at me. My first thought was that they knew exactly what happened. That they knew that three days ago their best friends kissed under the stars. But there was no way they could. Right? Was there some afterglow people had after kissing? Or was that only after sex? Actually, I didn't want to think about that.

"Alright," Sapnap said, getting up to his feet. "I'm gonna go say hi."

"Okay," I said a bit too quietly, following Sapnap with my eyes as he walked up the stairs and disappeared.

"Aw, I'll stay with you, George," Bad said with a warm smile. "Come sit down."

I took Sapnap's place, but I stayed curled up into the corner of the couch. Bad grabbed a muffin and handed it to me.

"Try it! This was Sapnap's first time making muffins."

I hesitated before grabbing the muffin. He cocked his head to the side.

"Why do you look so scared?" He asked in a gentle tone that nearly pulled the answer right out of me. "You look like a tiny lost puppy."

I was overreacting. I was definitely overreacting. I took a bite out of the muffin. It was a little hard, but otherwise it tasted fine. Maybe a bit mediocre. I'd blame it on Sapnap.

"So what's Dream coding?" He asked when I didn't respond.

"I don't know," I replied. "Truth be told, we haven't really spoken in a few days."

"Really? Why? Is everything okay?"

"Yeah. He's just been busy."

"Does that bother you?"

"No, not at all. I mean, it gets a bit lonely sometimes, but it's fine." I glanced up at him before looking back down. Find something to focus on. I settled on a tiny mark on the wooden coffee table.

"Yeah, I mean, this is how life's going to be like when you get married, right? Might as well get used to it now."

"I guess." I was already used to it. I didn't care that Dream was working. We both already knew how busy we got. It would just be silly to assume we'd have time every single day to just sit down and talk for hours. What bothered me was the fact that I knew why Dream was upstairs coding. I knew he was avoiding me, and I was avoiding him too. But that didn't necessarily mean I liked it.