Hallmark Christmas Special (part three) -the one with both fathers and daddy's

-Laff POV-

Well. I wasn't at all expecting what was in the box from my father.

"Dear duck Laff. Please put that down, you could seriously hurt someone with that shiz."

"Hercules. That's- that's kinda the point of it. It feels very nice to hold. Powerful. Don't be so jealous. Here, would you like to touch my lengthily luxurious sword?"

There's a soft snort from the corner as I toss the blade somewhat fluently from one hand to the other and offer it to Herc, who just shakes his head and shifts away. His loss, it's a very nice sword. 

"I wanna play with your sword daddy!"

Well.

I end up sheathing it before passing it to Anne, giggling as she teeters and falls under the weight. Try to keep my composure as I take it back, just to break into a smile and take it out to fool around a bit more. 

"See Hercules? It's beautiful. Shiny. Merci mon père."

I end up actually putting it away this time and sitting down because I'm honestly kinda tired.

But fuck do I love Christmas.

My father has been pulled to my lap, my head resting on his shoulder while Herc rests on mine. Usnavi and Anne are fighting for Adrienne's attention, we all gave up on convincing them there was anything better than harassing the new person, so they're sitting in her lap as she ruffles up their hair. Mads is in the kitchen, and we have been informed she is definitely not stealing cookies.

"I don't think I can remember the last time I felt like this, Gil."

I just nod, my father turning around to give me a smile.

And then breaking down.

I thought it was out of character for him to be laughing, but now he's sobbing as I turn him so he can rest against my chest. Full on ugly crying, nails digging into where he clings to me, body shaking, a sniffling mess in my arms.

I carry him to the bedroom, planting a soft kiss to his forehead as I rub my hands along his back between gentle squeezes as he shakes.

"Mon père, it's okay. You're okay dad. What's wrong?"

My father pulls away from me, backing himself into the headboard and curling up for a minute before he looks back to me with a dazed look in his eyes.

"Je viens d'être seul depuis si longtemps et je sais que c'est de ma faute et je suis stupide mais tu m'as tellement manqué et - et je ne sais pas la dernière fois que quelqu'un m'a jamais tenu et m'a dit que tout allait bien se passer. Je ne pense pas avoir jamais fait ça pour toi non plus."

"Sir-"

"Je suis tellement désolé Gil, tu dois me détester-"

"Christophe, what the fuck? Snap out of it! The hell Is going on with you right now dad? I don't hate you. I love you and I need you so don't talk like that. It's all fine, past is past so focus on now."

"I'm a terrible person. Terrible father. I've hurt so many people Gil, including you, and I hate myself for it every day."

"Shh. I don't know what you want here dad. I don't hate you, never have, never could, never will. I don't know where you got that idea, what made you think that. There's no reason to cry dad, you're here again and so am I and there's nothing I'd rather have."

"Gil, please, listen. Maybe it was a bad idea ever reentering your life."

"D-dad?"

"I mean. You were perfectly happy without me. Never needed me. Maybe it'd be better if I left again, let you all go back to your lives."