Chapter 2- The conversation

I could remember the "conversation" I had with my father a week ago.(Basically him forcing his opinion on me).

I was lying down on my bed trying to do my Arithmetic Homework when I heard my father call me, instantly dread filled me. I began to search through my mind for anything I could've done.

I've washed the dishes and put my uniform away.
Oh no!! Did he tell me to do something before I left for school?

I heard my name again this time there was a hint of anger in his voice and I snapped out of my thoughts and went to answer him.

"Dad, you called". I said as I entered his room. I could tell he was almost drunk, a half-filled bottle of cheap beer was in his hand and his room reeked of smoke from cigarettes and beer fumes. No wonder Mom had taken to sleeping on our old and definitely uncomfortable sofa.

"Yes, I did" He said his words slurring slightly.
" I called you because I have something very important to tell you. You know the festival is coming very soon and you have been selected. I'm very happy about this. Having a daughter may not be as bad as I originally thought. Look, a very rich man has told me that he would choose you during the ceremony. His name is Mallam Riku. I'm sure you have heard of him".

Of course I had heard of him. Everyone in my small town knew him.
He was a 60 year old business man who owned businesses within and outside our town. He also had about 4 "wives" already since he had decided to pick a wife during the festival almost every year.

In my town, basically no one got married out of the love.

The men got married to bear children to either work on their farms or to take over their businesses. Your worth as a man was determined by the number of children and wives that you had.

The women got married to have a provider and to bear children.
Male children were of more value compared to the females.

So you can imagine my parents' disappointment when I turned out to be a girl and since there were a lot of complications during my birth my mum would not be able to have another child.

Of course my father could marry another wife but nobody wanted to marry a man who could barely provide for his small family.

I remembered that my father was probably waiting for me to say something as a response to what he had said.

"Dad, you know that I would like to finish school and become a doc-"

"Would you shut up!!! We can barely afford to eat as it is and you're talking about school. Besides what use is school when you'll end up as the wife of a man and in his kitchen."

"But dad"

"No buts. You are getting married to Mallam Riku after the festival and that is final. Now get out of my room, call your mom and tell her to bring my food"

I left his room and went in  search for my mum.