VVF

Vesicovaginal fistula (VVF) is an abnormal opening between the bladder and the vagina that results in continuous and unremitting urinary incontinence. The entity is one among the most distressing complications of gynecologic and obstetric procedures.

Estimates suggest that at least three million women in poor countries have unrepaired VVFs, and that 30,000–130,000 new cases develop each year in Africa alone .

It is often caused by childbirth (in which case it is known as an obstetric fistula), when a prolonged labor presses the unborn child tightly against the pelvis, cutting off blood flow to the vesicovaginal wall. The affected tissue may necrotize (die), leaving a hole.

Vaginal fistulas can also result from particularly violent cases of rape, especially those involving multiple rapists and/or foreign objects.

It can also be associated with hysterectomy, cancer operations, radiation therapy and cone biopsy.

The most common cause of VVF is obstructed labor . The fistula derived by obstructed labor is the product of a massive field injury caused by the impacted fetal head.

Vesicovaginal fistula (VVF) is still a major cause for concern in many developing countries. It represents a significant morbidity in female urology. Continual wetness, odor, and discomfort cause serious social problems. The diagnosis of the condition has traditionally been based on clinical methods and dye testing. A successful repair of such fistulas requires an accurate diagnostic evaluation and timely repair using procedures that exploit basic surgical principles and the application of interposition flaps. The method of closure depends on the surgeon's training and experience. The main complication of VVF surgery is recurrent fistula formation.

Vesicovaginal fistula (VVF) is an abnormal opening between uthe bladder and the vagina that results in continuous and unremitting urinary incontinence. The entity is one among the most distressing complications of gynecologic and obstetric procedures.