Chapter 3-Duty

I decided to go tell my mom what had transpired between my dad and I.

I was sure she'd understand after all,she'd been forced to marry dad too.

I met my mum in the kitchen stirring a pot over the stove.

She probably had to beg for foodstuff from one of her friends.

I tried not to let that bother me and I took a seat on a stool in our kitchen.
"Mum",

"Yes dear",

"Dad was telling me that I'm to marry Mallam Riku."

"Yes dear, that's what is best for you, for all of us."

"But Mum, I thought you would be on my side. You know I've always wanted to be a doctor and you know that won't be possible if I marry Mallam Riku"

"Amadea, this is what is best for you. Mallam Riku would take care of you and he'll help bring us out of this pit of poverty. You have to do this. It's your duty to this family."

"Duty to this family?"

"Yes Amadea. In fact I don't want to talk about this again. You'll have to marry Mallam Riku".

I couldn't believe that my mum would be in support of this.

And she actually said it was my duty to our family. What about their duties to me as their daughter?

My mum knew it had been my dream to be a doctor since I was 5 years old and had fallen ill to the point of death.

My mum had tried so many home treatments because she couldn't afford to take me to the only health center in our town.
My dad couldn't care less.

Somehow, one of my mum's friends took my mum and I to the health center and paid my bills.(she was married to a rich man).

At the health center, I was attended to by one of the medical doctors from Mymli, a neighbouring town.
When I was relatively  well  and on my way to making a full recovery I decided that I was going to be a medical doctor so that I'll be able to help people.

Somehow that dream doesn't seem feasible anymore.

✨✨✨✨✨✨✨✨✨✨✨✨✨✨✨✨✨
  Hi. It's me. The Author. I know the chapters are short but I promise longer chapters ahead.
Please vote and comment. It'll mean a lot.🥰🥰🥰