An Unexpected Favor

One night Bilbo was trying to get Frodo to fall asleep after he had another nightmare about his parents. Bilbo finally got the little hobbit to sleep when he heard a knock and the door and nearly cursed as he went to open it.

"I just got little Frodo to sleep," Bilbo whisper yelled as he then recognized the wizard. He had on his big gray cloak and hat, but he was also carrying something as Bilbo stared.
"Sorry to bother you so late Bilbo, but I may have a favor to ask of you," he said as Bilbo sighed and motioned for him to come in.
"I'll get some tea as long as it doesn't wake Frodo up. Why on earth are you here this late?" Bilbo asked as he scurried to the kitchen.
"Um, better wait for you to comeback to explain," the wizard said as he sat in a chair by the fire. Bilbo was back quickly with the tea. It was only after Bilbo had put the tea down when he noticed that Gandalf was carrying a bundle of blankets in one arm.
"Uh Gandalf, what are you carrying?" Bilbo asked.
"Actually, it's the favor I was going to ask you. I know your busy with Frodo, but a very important friend asked me to take her somewhere safe," Gandalf explained as Bilbo raised an eyebrow.
"Take who somewhere safe?" Bilbo asked. Gandalf leaned down enough the hobbit could clearly see a baby wrapped in blankets but it also had pointed ears.
"You cannot repeat this, but this is the daughter of Lord Elrond. He heard a prophecy of the child and wanted her somewhere safe to raise. After your adventure, I told him I could think of no place safer than the Shire for a child," he said as Bilbo stared at the child.
"You want me to raise the daughter of Elrond?" Bilbo squeaked as he pointed.
"Yes we'll you've done well with Frodo so far."
"But he isn't a baby baby. Might you forget I never had children of my own."
"I haven't forgotten. But you are the bravest hobbit I know. Please Bilbo, just raise her until she is old enough to travel to Rivendell. Her father believes that is safest." Bilbo looked at the elf child. She wasn't much bigger than a hobbit baby yet and she was fast asleep.
"What's her name?" He asked.
"Her elf name will be given to her, but you can choose her common name if you desire," Gandalf said as Bilbo saw the baby.
"Would you like to hold her?" Gandalf asked.
"Er, um alright then," Bilbo said as Gandalf shifted himself and gave the baby to Bilbo. Bilbo sat down and saw the baby. She seemed so peaceful.
"If I ever had a daughter, I would have named her Belladonna for my mother," he said as Gandalf smiled.
"Then Belladonna it is then," Gandalf said with glee.
"Maybe Bella for short," Bilbo smiled.
"Does that mean you'll help her?" He asked.
"Yes I suppose so," Bilbo said as he was already falling in love with her. Gandalf beamed.
"Hobbits really surprise you! Thank you my dear Bilbo! Now I'll come back soon with more information but I must go tell her father she made it to the Shire safely. Bilbo looked up from Bella to find Gandalf mysteriously gone. Bilbo sighed and looked at the baby.
"Hello Belladonna. My name is Bilbo and I will take care of you." A few minutes later, little Frodo found them as he rubbed his eyes.
"Can't sleep?" Bilbo asked him.
"I thought I heard voices," Frodo said as he got closer.
"Well yes. It was Gandalf. Come meet your new sister Bella," Bilbo smiled.  For being a Bachelor hobbit, Bilbo certainly had a way of finding children to take care of.

9/22/20 Note: Happy Hobbit day! Lately I've been thinking about Lord of the Rings, and decided to resurrect an old fanfic idea I had. Some things will obviously be different from the source material since it is fanfic but I hope you will like it!