Chp. 1- Cold Shoulder

Previously on Let Me In ~

I looked down at the picture then back to her. "Well, it all started the first day of school. I just got bickered at by the principle and as soon as I barged out, I came face to face with the girl I never knew I've always been waiting for.."
_____________________________________

*Taylor's POV*

Throughout the summer, it's been mostly silence between my dad and I. Even though I know we will be living together until I go to college, I can't seem to find myself forgiving him anytime soon. And I'm pretty good at holding grudges, if I say so myself.

My dad's job provided an apartment while he worked in a local finance management company. The apartment was small, but pretty roomy for me. My dad and I had our own room with a small kitchen and living room. It already came furnished so we didn't do much to change it.

He had money saved in the bank for a vacation, but since he was needed at work a lot more often and due to the recent events, he took all of it out and now kept it hidden somewhere in his room. For some reason, he never really trusted credit cards or leaving it in the bank for too long. He gave me a couple hundreds, trusting me to spend it wisely for school. I really didn't feel like spending it on cigarettes and beer like I usually would have done, so instead I bought clothes and school supplies before the year started.

A part of me really wanted to be stubborn and not bother to try cleaning up my act, but I knew that was probably going to end me up in a bigger shit hole than I already was. And if I really want to get away from my dad, I needed to at least attempt to build my grades up this year. The sooner I'm out of here, the better.

A part of me wanted to do this for Ava. Over this change, her and I never really seemed to stay the same. We had agreed to let go and move on with our lives. This distance thing was way harder than I thought. I contanstly worried about when was the next time I could ever possibly see her or the next time we are ever going to be together again. The ache in my chest was and still is killing me knowing that this had to happen. Ava meant the world to me, but things are easier said than done.

If anything to her benefit, no one could ever make me feel the way she made me feel. It was something I never knew I was lucky enough to have. She gave me hope in myself, and with this new boost of confidence, I'm now motivated to do better. To be better.

The thought of her still lingers in the back of my head, but I had to try my best to forget about her. In this new place that was now my "home", I don't know anybody here at all and nothing to do to get my mind off of her. Thank god school was around the corner. I don't know what I would do just sulking around here watching tv till my eyes literally burst out of my head.

My dad strolled into my room, looking around to see if anything was damaged. He knew better, and I probably would of broke something just to spite him. But I decided to just give him the cold shoulder from now on. "So what do you want for dinner?" He asked casually.

"I don't know. Whatever, I guess."

"I'll order a pizza. Pepperoni as always?" He offered.

"No. I think I'll have pineapple this time." I really have gotten used to the taste from the first time I had it with Ava on our first date. The memory of that night brought an ache to my chest as I quickly pushed the thought away.

"Okay, sure." He said before sitting next to me beside the bed. "So are you excited for school?"

"Never been more excited about anything in my entire life." I said sarcastically.

"Have you thought about what you were planning to major in after high school?"

"Is this really your idea of small talk? Because if it is, you might want to ask me something that doesn't involve you dragging me out here." I scoffed.

"Taylor, I did this for your best interest. Your mother was worried about you and I wanted to do my best to help-"

"Help!" I laughed. "If you really wanted to help, maybe you should of stayed. But since that is out of the question, the only thing that can come close to helping is leaving me alone."

He stayed silent as I looked at the hurt in his eyes. I wish I could see it more often, it gave me a sense of satisfaction knowing I caused him pain the same way he caused my family and I the same feeling.

My dad and I never were close. He left before he even thought about sticking around to get to know me. It built anger in me all these years knowing he had left my mom to raise my brothers and sister for some mistress of his. And just pouring out all of my emotions, including my anger, was what he wanted. He wanted me to let it out so I wont have anything to hold against him anymore. But that's not what I had planned. I was going to do my best to avoid him as best as I can, until I left.

Just one more year.. how hard could it be?