Episode 2.2

"Miguel is that my phone?" I had left Miguel's side for two seconds to talk to Sensei, and when I got back he was whispering to someone on a phone. 

"Um yeah. Don't be mad, but I just wanted to talk to Sam and I knew she would pick up for you." He handed my phone back and started to walk away.

"Wait, how'd it go?" He turned back around and looked upset. 

"She said to call her back when you get the chance." He turned back around and walked towards a group of newbies before I could respond. I put my phone in my bag and joined the group of laughing people. It seemed like they were trying to come up with nicknames for the new students. It was always fun to give them a hard time. The laughing only stopped when a strange man walked into the dojo looking extremely sketchy. 

"Who's that?" Hawk asked the group. 

"I don't know." Miguel and I said in sync. Both of us were determined to figure out who he was though. I was the first to walk up to the stranger and Miguel followed my lead. 

"Hey, can we help you, sir?" I asked with confidence.

He stopped walking, looked both me and Miguel up and down, and answered with, "No, but maybe I can help you." Luckily Sensei saved us from the uncomfortable moment and the man left our side to have a quiet conversation with him just out of ear shot. 

"Well, that grossed me out." I whispered to Miguel.

"Did you see the way he looked us up and down?" Miguel laughed a little to ease the tension, but it gave me shivers. Miguel changed the topic, "How are you today?" 

"Same as yesterday. Just trying to get through the post-breakup phase with Hawk. I don't know if I'm allowed to talk to him, and I don't know if I even want him talking to me. I guess it's just going to be awkward between us for a while." I shrugged it off and took my spot in the front of class. Sensei was waiting for us to fall in and his buddy was standing behind him, looking like a villain. 

"Class, we have a visitor. This is Mr. Kreese. He's just an observer. Pretend like he's not even here. Mr. Diaz, warm them up." Sensei backed up and let Miguel take position in the front of the class. He began leading the warm up like usual, but had the entire class doing the dab. We all started laughing. Hawk and I instinctively looked at each other to laugh and I quickly regretted the eye contact because it caused me to blush. I turned my head quickly, so he wouldn't notice and I didn't think he did because Sensei started yelling at the class. Something about Mr. Kreese was putting him on edge and I didn't like it. I was lost in thought, while Johnny continued to yell at the class. 

Kreese was someone important in Johnny's life but who? I knew Sensei didn't have dad, but he did have a step dad who didn't care about him. The only other father figure I could think of was his old Sensei, but Daniel had told me he died. But his name was familiar. Was the man in front of me really Johnny's old sensei. I focused back on the conversation when Kreese caught me staring at him. He smiled at me and I shivered again. I didn't like him. 

"QUIET! 5 am tomorrow. Corner of Fulton and Raymer. You don't show, and you're off the team. Class dismissed." Sensei stormed off into his office and Kreese was quick to follow. 

"Damn, what's up his ass today?" Hawk asked me. I was taken back by him acknowledging me. Hawk and I had been avoiding talking to each other directly for the past several days. I felt something weird shift inside of me, and I got the courage to confront him. 

"Can we talk?" I asked him. 

"Oh um..." He looked around the dojo, for a possible excuse to not talk to me but found none, "Sure." I grabbed my bag and went outside to find a spot for us to talk in private. Miguel was waiting for me by my car.