Chapter 17: Dementors

Around a month passed off Josie hanging around with her friends, helping Regulus with Occulmency, trying out the nicknames Julia and Nancy and studying. It was hectic. She was currently walking with James and Sirius towards their defence against the dark arts classroom and the boys where just talking about whatever came to mind while Josie listened to their nonsense. However the topic took a sharp turn in a direction Josie didn't want it to go.

"So Josie. heard you have a thing for our Moony ey." Sirius said as he swung an arm around her shoulders. Josie sighed and shrugged his arm off.

"Who told you that Hogwash?" Josie laughed, not wanting to reveal her feelings towards the boy. After all, it was only a crush that would diminish in a few weeks.

"Oh don't lie Jose, admit it, you think Remus is hot." James teased, jogging backwards in front of Josie. She inhaled deeply and rolled her eyes.

"It sounds more like you have a thing for Remus." Sirius scoffed at Josie's claims and James almost tripped himself up in surprise. Before the boys could pester the girl anymore they came to the door of class, Josie was the first to enter and notice again that all the tables had moved, leaving the room clear apart from a old dusty trunk in the centre. Josie made her way over to Lily and Remus who were scribbling things down either using the wall behind them or Remus's back as a surface.

"Why do you two look so happy?" James asked, only really looking and admiring Lily's passion for the lesson. The two didn't get a chance to answer as the teacher interrupted.

"Well Mr Potter, maybe if Mr Black, Miss Diner and yourself weren't late then you would know what we are learning about today." The new Defence teacher snapped. At the beginning of the new term it was revealed that a new teacher would be assigned to take the post of defence against the dark arts, sadly she wasn't as nice as the Professor hired after Tribley but at least she wasn't a rapist. Hopefully. 

"But we aren't late." Sirius said matter-of-factly. The teacher's mouth opened to say something but as she did the bell rang, signifying that Josie and the boys were in fact right on time. James and Sirius smiled triumphantly and high five'd while Josie struggled to hold in a giggle.

"Well...either way who would like to inform these three on what we will be learning about today?" For once Josie wasn't the person who raised her hand, instead it was Lily.

"Dementors and Patronuses Professor." She said confidently, The teacher grimaced.

"Yes Miss Evans, next time refrain from speaking until I call on you." The teacher said in a passive aggressive tone. A few Slytherin's sniggered and Josie could hear James knuckles crack, most likely wanting to attack both the teacher and students. Lily leaned closer to Josie.

"I was the only one who raised my hand." She whispered, almost laughing at the teacher and her bad attitude towards the students.

"Now can anyone tell me what a Dementor is." The teacher pretended to look around but Josie's hand was the first and only hand up again. She was 100% sure that most of the class knew what a Dementor was but just didn't want to speak in front of everyone so Josie took it upon herself, however her teacher didn't seem to like the fact Josie already knew. Her professor sighed and gestured for Josie to speak.

"A Dementor is a wraithlike creature that guards the prison Azkaban. They feed on Human happiness, causing a feeling of despair and depression. They are known as one of the most darkest and foulest creatures to wizard kind." 

"Well done Miss Diner, and I suppose you also know what a patronus charm is as well. You seem to know everything." The teacher spat in a diminishing tone. Josie smirked and nodded.