17: Challenges Recovery

Chapter 17: Challenges Recovery

August 1st, 2019

Cheryl seemed okay with her surroundings. Toni tried her best to help Cheryl readjust, without trying to seem overbearing. The killer of Nick scum still hasn't been discover which made Cheryl quite uneasy if she was being honest. She noticed that TT wasn't telling a whole lot about the sudden end to his life.

"Toni, I asking you honestly, did you have anything do with his death? If you did, I won't fault you, I-I just need the truth." Toni froze as soon as those words exited her wife's lips.

The law spoke for her and she kept her morals to Jones." I didn't, baby. But I don't know who did it, Cheryl. Am I happy? Sure. No, actually I'm more than happy he's dead. He did horrible, horrendous things. He got what he deserved." Cheryl watched her for a moment before taking the question to rest.

She resumed her natural order and decided to call Josie and see if she could stay with her for a few days. Toni agreed the new scenery would be the best for her health as of right now. So she picked up her phone and dialed Josie's cell phone number.

"Hello?" She heard Josie's voice.

A smile reached her lips." Josie McCoy."

She could hear Josie laugh." Cheryl Blossom, it's so nice to hear your lovely voice again. You gave me quite a fright."

"It's good to be alive." She said honestly. She hadn't thought she would make it out alive. "Uh, I was wondering if I could stay and visit you in New York for a few days. I could really use some fresh stuff to look beside boring Riverdale." Josie McCoy giggled lightheartedly.

"Oh! Of course, you are always welcome! I'll check in with Katy and we'll see a musical on Broadway." The excitement in her voice made Cheryl's heart flutter with hope.

"Thanks."

Silence hit the line which caused Josie to echo back," Are you okay? I mean I remember that night at the Gala. He really trigged you then and I don't see any difference now. I know when I found out you were stalking me, sending those creepy gifts - it did scare me, but I'm way passed that. Now, what's bothering you? Are you Topaz-Blossom on the rocks?"

She smiled at the sweet concern muttered by McCoy and found herself staring at her nail beds absentmindedly.

"No, no. TT and I are more than fine. No rocks for us. It's just..." She sighed briefly," She's been hiding something about his death.... I know she has."

"Why do you suppose?"

"I brought it up today and she shut the idea down. I wouldn't care if she had anything do with it, I just need to know if she lied to me. I can't have lies, Jos. He... he took too much of my rights away and I won't let anyone else, not even Toni take that." A shiver hit her back when the thought brought back her time in that bunker. She wasn't allowed to eat.... beaten and almost died. She never.... ever wanted to feel that powerless again.

"Well... when you get here, I'll get your mind off that and we can finally catch up."

They spoke on the phone until Josie had to go. It was nice to be able to talk someone who wasn't related to her or by marriage about her issues. She knows her family is just looking for her, but it was starting to drive her nuts. Even the ex-serpent king, FP Jones, also adopted-father - had been on eggshells around her. She hadn't expected such a tough, ex-gang leader to be so gentle.

Xxxxxxxxxxxxx-xxxx

Toni exited the cab, grabbing her piece and switchblade and closed the door behind her. While Cheryl caught up with Josie on the phone, she had slipped out to deal with a personal matter. And that was the issue of who killed Nick? She had her thoughts on the case, but the name never left her mouth.