Illegal Activities

Damian's rule of thumb is that when you have to choose between two different gradients of gray in a remarkably gray sea, best not to choose any side at all.

So he reeled at the information that was brought to him two hours after waking up, standing in Grayson's little batcave-away-from-batcave.

"Can you repeat that, Grayson?" The man in question pinched his nose in annoyance. "I said, Damian, that we're going to infiltrate a foreign country and destabilize it." Grayson was seated in a chair wearing a simple black t-shirt and khakis. He looked as through he hasn't even blinked in days. Damian crossed his arms and scoffed. "You mean we're going to overthrow a government, cut its resources and undermine its economy, correct?" Damian said. He glanced behind Grayson and saw a real-time satellite image of a small island. It was somewhat populated, but saw notes scribbled on it via highlighter schematic software.

Missile Terminal Here? it read in bold red letters. Oh great. "Very well. When are we leaving?" Grayson looked away. "That's why I came to you first. The team's not going." Damian stared at his older brother with disbelief. That's got to be a joke, right? No way would they send a single teenager — albeit, a very skilled teenager — to single handedly disrupt the flow of an entire country, right?

Right?

"You do realize that one person cannot simply do this great of a task." Damian said. A million things started running through his head. The costs, the disguises, the false passports and aliases... so many things that would take weeks to secure and cover before undertaking such a job. Unless...

"Don't worry. Everything has already been covered by Bruce. And I didnt say you were going alone, I said the team isn't tagging along." Grayson quirked an eyebrow, letting the silence drag dramatically before finishing. "Raven's going with you." Now it was Damian's turn to pinch his nose in annoyance. "Who doesn't know a thing about espionage." He muttered. Damian didn't necessarily mind the Witch, but he was trained in this sort of thing from the day he learned how to lie. Surely there could be someone better. "Why?" Damian simply asked. Grayson leaned back in his chair. "Don't underestimate her, D. She has abilities that will help and aid you both on your mission."

"And that is?"

"Have you heard of the island of Chevrov Corta?"

Damian nodded. An island off the coast of Spain. Right now in political turmoil and doused in civil war. Military Insurgents and home-grown terrorists that fancy themselves the "Sons of Prophets" has taken control of most of the island. The UN can't do anything due to conflict in various other places in the world — mostly a crime rise in the superhuman underworld.

Rumors say that they want to show the world leaders that they mean business once they have ousted the Aristocratic government that is slowly falling to shambles, and have been in talks with various other countries that despise NATO and the Geneva Convention in gaining military support.

Answers the "if they have missiles" question. Damian guessed. "How do we go about this?" Grayson shrugged. "You tell me, how would a two-person team take down a country?"

Damian lifted a hand to his chin for a few moments. "From the shadows..." Damian answered. "Yup. You'll meet a CIA agent in the country side. Code phrase is from Homer's book five of the Iliad: 'Mars, Mars, bane of men, bloodstained stormer of cities.'" Grayson got up from his chair and cuffed Damian on the shoulder. "Don't trust anyone except Raven. We don't know who this CIA guy is. And we've been seeing activity within the League of Shadows."

Oh, of course they want a slice. Damian thought, all in the means of birthing a perfect world. He inwardly spat, but controlled his emotions to not give anything away to Grayson. "You forget, I don't trust anyone." He turned towards the door and made his way to the training room. He didnt respond when his brother yelled, "Including Raven?"

The next day, Damian and Raven were on board the Titan Jet on route to Chevrov Corta. They didnt wear their normal suits, and instead opted for darker clothes. It reminded Damian of his League outfit, but more up to date: instead of cloth it was armor that his own Robin suit had, painted black and dark blue. His sword was belted to his back. He also had a hood over his head. His eyes didnt have his domino mask on him, it instead was dark paint covering his eyes and top bridge of his nose. When he walked into the common room of the tower the others couldn't stop but compare the two to Snake-Eyes from G.I. JOE.

Raven was dressed in a similar fashion. With a black military grade backpack by her side and a black cloak covering her. She was currently reading a book.

They couldn't wear their normal suits due to the fact that this was an off-the-books operation. If one were to find out who they were, it would cause a case of national interest accusations from world leaders towards the United States.

"We're nearing drop point." Grayson said over the comms. Damian exhaled a breath as he glanced outside the windows. Pitch black. Not even a cloud in sight. This was risky. Even for him. But hey, at least he can brag to Jason that he took down a tyrannical government at the next family dinner.

"You're nervous." Raven's monotone voice broke him out of his thoughts. He looked at her and wasn't surprised that her eyes hadn't left her book. It wasn't a question, it seemed. He shook his head. "If I said I wasn't, I'd be lying." He said quietly.

Over the years, he had learned that he couldn't keep things away from Raven. And decided to do what any reasonable person would:

If you can't evade someone, learn how to.

Unfortunately, he hasn't. So he just chooses to be honest with her instead. Turns out that was much easier.

"Five minutes." The comms said. Raven closed her book and slipped it into her bag and shouldered it. Damian took a second to glance at his watch. 2200 hours. Not bad.

Words: 1058

A/N: Guess who's back. Back again?