Chapter 21

"Marinette." The bluenette jumped as she closed her locker, revealing a patiently waiting Damian. The two had let their hatred fade to the back burner but their competition was only strengthened, they only ever approached each other out of class for a prank or because they needed something and it was Marinette's turn to get payback.

"What do you want?" The girl asked, suspicious.

"Meet me in the Library during lunch." Damian didn't leave it up for discussion as he walked away and towards his next class. Marinette just watched, confused before heading to Spanish. The girl grew anxious as lunch neared, why Damian would want to meet her during their lunch was beyond the girl.

The bell rang, everyone quickly stuffed their notebooks into their bags and started speaking with their neighbors.

"Hey, Marinette." Greg approached the girl, he was one of the boys going on the Paris trip.

"Hello."

"So, I was wondering if you wanted to sit with me and some of my other friends today? For lunch."

"Well, I have to go to the library, I'm not sure how long I'll take but if I finish early, I think that'd be great!" Marinette quickly waved goodbye to the boy as she turned to the seldom-used library, Damian was sitting at one of the tables with a notebook open. There was no librarian at the desk, it must have been their lunch break.

The room was cold and dark, the light from the windows surrounding the room filtering past the seemingly endless columns of bookshelves to illuminate the room just enough to give it a calming atmosphere. The room was just bright enough to read the countless, thickly bound books. Marinette's loafers glided over the dark carpeting, Damian's head turned to the sound of the door closing behind the girl.

"You showed up."

"Yes. What do you want?" Damian seemed reluctant to say as Marinette sat across from him.

"I need help with a problem."

"In what subject?"

"Not subject, Grayson's birthday is coming up. I need to commission you." The bluenette nodded, pulling out a small notebook, Damian hadn't noticed before but it was different from the book she had brought to his house. The sketchbook was custom and quality, this one was disposable and commercial. Another piece of evidence showing her unconscious distrust of her peers.

"What were you thinking?"

"Two questions, do you do wallets? And how experienced are you in children's clothing?" Damian asked, Marinette seemed mildly surprised at the questions.

"Well, assuming you want something for Mar'i I think I'd be able to do a onesie or shirt. I could make it a little big, make sure it fits as she grows without getting her measurements. As for the wallet, I could try. I've never used the material before and I'd have to get the equipment but-"

"No, that's fine, forget about the wallet. Has he mentioned anything he'd want?"

"Uh... Comfortable sweatpants."

"Good, make that. His favorite color is blue and prefers bright colors." Marinette nodded.

"I'll use the measurements from the suits, is there anything else you need?"

"Yes, Grayson and the rest of my family have insisted I give you this. It's an invitation, they're still convinced we're friends." Marinette takes a paper with information written in a neat script.

"And you want me to do what? Go?"

"They do, I see it as a bother. I will be the one left to entertain you and I have my own acquaintances to deal with." Damian closed his book bag and walked out of the library, calling his brother.