Chapter 27

The sky was a beautiful baby blue, the cool breeze rustling the beautiful cherry blossoms as Marinette walked by. The flowers were behind a tall stone wall but the tops of the cherry blossom trees were visible, they were one of marinette's favorite types of flowers. Bougainvilleas were a close second, their delicate almost translucent flowers that grew in such a volume that they practically covered anything they could in the little, vibrant pink florets.

Marinette was slowly removing herself out of the conversation, bringing a more quiet Carrie into it to help her relax before letting her pick up where Marinette left off. The bluenette maneuvered herself to the edge of the group before slowing down to behind everyone without gaining the group's attention.

"Interesting that you even bother talking to the ignoramuses. It's clear you don't want their company."

"Oh? I'm interesting now?" Damian looked down at her, his hands behind his back before he almost reluctantly started speaking again.

"Given your... history, you would think you'd either be focused on building walls or more loyal bonds with your peers. Why befriend all indiscriminately, isn't it understood that a few good friends are better than many acquaintances?"

"I don't need to explain myself to you." Marinette shot back, she didn't need to be psychoanalyzed by a rich brat. Damian actually seemed confused as to why she hadn't answered directly, they'd fallen a few feet behind everyone else and spoke quietly. They might as well be alone, and it wasn't like he was addressing anything that wasn't mutually understood. Marinette didn't need him to start acting like he cared just because he felt guilty for something he didn't do, but she also didn't want to discourage the sudden lack of animosity between them. It was nice to not constantly buttheads with him.

"You really are emotionally constipated. That was a rather aggressive way to approach the topic, you dense walnut." Damian's brows furrowed, Marinette rolls her eyes, they'd arrived at the little congregation of stands and tents. It was a little portion of the park devoted to the stands, people offering jewelry, art, juices, fruits, flowers, nick-nacks, it was cute. People split up, Damian and Marinette just kept walking, their faces blank as they spoke.

"What? Want me to say 'please'?"

"That'd imply that you actually cared, why don't you just get to the point? You obviously have an ulterior motive." Now it's Damian's turn to roll his eyes as they walk up to a small stand, Marinette follows as he speaks.

"Drake wants to know more, though the questions are rather direct. I assumed the information would be tied to unpleasant memories, and thought it best to ease into the discussion."

"Well, eased isn't the word I'd use." Marinette huffed, thumbing a little nick-nack. "Ask your questions, I'll do my best to answer. Next time you can just tell me your brother had more questions, there's a difference between a conversation and a poorly disguised interrogation. I have to applaud you for your more successful attempts on the plane." Marinette seemed amused as Damian nodded, he hadn't been as sneaky as he'd thought.

"What does it take to attract the terrorists' attention?"

"A strong negative emotion."

"Like what?"

"Getting teased about something that's very important to you. Losing someone you love. Even a nightmare, the reason why doesn't matter as long as it's strong."

"Have you ever been targeted? If so, why?"

"Yes, Lila." Marinette spoke quietly as she roamed to the next tent.

"And the heroes came to your rescue?"

"No, I was able to focus on a solution. I knew there was another way besides his, at first I thought I could get them back with evidence, then I had the promise of one day leaving the class."