obsessed with u - carpetgarden

call the cops
route 99
driving down the city getting high

xxx

i toss the last backpack filled with necessities into the trunk of the car. that should be everything we need. some clothes, hygiene products, cash, snacks for the next couple of days, sleeping bags, blankets...

it'll do us just fine. for now, at least.

i've been hoping to get a job once we're out of here. it doesn't need to be anything fancy. i'd gladly jump from workplace to workplace, even if the money is only enough for food or gas. illegally, of course. cash in hand, so we can spend it right away with no one tracing us.

legal employment is impossible. it'd force us to settle down. it'd chain us to one place again, just like we were chained to this town. and that's the last thing we want. living on the open road is the dream. who knows where it'll take us? maybe up to nyc? and that's the beauty of it. you never know. we live in the now, not in the future.

i hop over the door and into the driver's seat, excitement bubbling inside of me. nick giggles upon seeing me this energetic. the engine starts up smoothly, and within seconds we're on our way. on our way to freedom.

i throw one last glance at my childhood home. i'm for sure going to miss it, no matter how much fun we have away from here. luckily my dad is still at work. he would've begged me to stay if he wasn't.

i feel so cruel for ditching him like this. god, he already lost his wife and now i'm running away from him too? the guilt is kicking my bruises, but there's no turning back now. i want this, i'm sure of it. he himself is such a free spirit that he'll probably understand. and if he doesn't straight away, he will soon.

on the kitchen counter is a note from me, to let him know how much i love and appreciate him for everything he's done. i wrote briefly about nick's home life, and what caused me to make the final decision.

in the end, i had made two promises i'll never break. one, that i would come back to visit at some point, and two, that he'll get to meet the love of my life. cause i know he really wants to.

"let's goooo!" nick chants as we pull out of the driveway.

his eyes have never been quite so lively, so full of hope and joy. he puts his arms up in the air, head thrown back, enjoying every single gust of wind that meets him. i'm grinning like an idiot. this is what he deserves. no less than this.

"so where are we going first, princess?" i ask him, "it's your call."
"east! vegas baby!"

i steer us onto the i-15 in his requested direction. looks like we'll be heading to nevada.

"you're so cute when you're all hyped up."
"thank you," he blushes shyly, blowing me a kiss of appreciation. my cheeks go red at that too.

i reach for his hand to gently lace our fingers together. he gives mine a loving squeeze, comforting me and erasing the last nervosity still left in my body. i can see him dreamily gazing at me out of the corner of my eye. sadly my mind has to stay focused on the road, otherwise i wouldn't even hesitate to return that endearing gaze.

"ugh," he whines, "i hate this!"
"huh?"
"the fact that i can't kiss you while you're driving."

i chuckle. we were almost sharing thoughts.

"i hate it too, but, i know something else you could do.."

he shoots me a puzzled look, thinking deeply about what my suggestion could be. his expression changes as it starts to dawn on him, and i smirk just seeing his reaction.

"clay! you're so dirty!
"well, i bet you wouldn't be against it."

he snorts, giggling cutely, "you know me too well. but how?"
"it's simple, you'd just sit down here," i explain, demonstrating it with gestures, "and it'd work itself out."

"okay, and how do you expect me to fit? i'd accidentally hit the pedals or something."
"i could hold you in place with my legs, don't worry."
"and you're sure you could still control your driving?" he wonders, tempted but still skeptical.
"maybe not while going this fast, but yes," i assure him, "we'll practice some time."

neither of us feel the need to comment on that last part. instead we just sit back, enjoying each other's presence. i've got one hand on the wheel, and the other in nick's. the sun is shining, no clouds can be seen for miles, palm tree leaves sway in the slight breeze.

admittedly, i will miss this. i'll miss the humid summer nights, and the rainy winters. but america has more to offer. we could go to florida and see the endless beaches in miami, or up north to finally experience heaps of snow. i've always wanted to build a snowman. a real one, not one made from watery, gray slush like the ones you get down here.

i'm pulled out of my thoughts when nick puts on some music, cranking the volume up by a lot.

"i wanna dance!" he exclaims, retracting his hand.
"i'm not gonna stop you," i wheeze, "but please don't fall out of the car."
"i've got it under control, trust me."

he gets up, clutching the windshield to keep himself steady. when the beat drops, he starts bouncing up and down where he's standing, dancing like there's no tomorrow. i can only laugh my ass off at his wild behavior, and pray that we don't get pulled over.

"we're fucking free!" he shouts, climbing over to the backseat. there he leans over the edge, flipping the last houses belonging to our hometown off as they slowly disappear behind hills and bushes.

"fuck you! i hope you all burn in hell!"

i can't stop smiling.

"fuck you mom, for being a bitch and wanting me dead, and fuck you dad for all the shit you've put me through! fuck you mrs. garcia for failing me, fuck the principal, whatever your stupid fucking name is, fuck that skinny librarian bitch, you're all clowns!

fuck you lola for breaking up with me, and fuck all my shithead friends for ditching me, fuck you cole for always picking on me, fuck you damien for dragging me down, fuck you mariah, fuck you chris, fuck you tara, fuck you julian, everyone!

i can't wait to never ever see your ugly faces again!"

he slides back down, out of breath but totally relieved.

"that felt good."
"i would imagine."

the song fades out, silence replacing it.

"can you drive faster?" he requests.
"i'm already doing the speed limit, why?"
"i just wanna get far away."

xxx

baby can you paint my nails
i'm high as fuck and such a failure
i made a playlist for you
baby i adore you