sissy spacek - bloody/bath

take your photograph
you look so good when you laugh
you can take the last drag

xxx

"woah, it's..."
"beautiful? yeah, i know. though you haven't even seen the best part yet."

i open the trunk to get a blanket and the bags full of food and snacks. nick gasps upon seeing what i've brought, as if a picnic is something to be so excited about.

"clay! oh my god!" he exclaims, jumping up and down.
"chill out," i wheeze, "it's just a little midnight snack."
"you didn't have to!"
"but i want to. cause you mean the world to me and i love spending time with you."

he leans forward to peck my cheek as a thank you. i can't help but blush from the appreciation. it's insane how i'm usually so cold and void of emotion, yet nick somehow manages to lure out such a sensitive and passionate side of me.

it's almost like all my love was trapped deep inside, and is only now pouring out. never ever have i wanted to be so intimate with anyone. my heart has never fluttered so wildly from seeing someone else, touching them, holding them.
never ever have i loved another person like this.

cause i love you, nick.

he helps me carry the stuff as i lock the car and lead the way to my special spot. we struggle our way through thick bushes, thorns threatening to poke our legs. i almost drop a bottle of coke into the pits of hell, growing right beside the narrow path we're walking on.

"where does this thing lead to?" nick whines as he ducks under twigs and branches.
"you'll see soon, i promise it's worth it."

when the vegetation starts becoming less and less annoying, the dirt path wider and wider, i know we're getting close. a clearing appears in front of us, streaks of moonlight grazing the flat piece of land. it only goes on for about ten yards before it ends in a steep cliffside, quietly looming in the darkness. if you weren't careful you might've missed it.

in the open valley below lies our hometown, so wonderfully ominous at this hour. long rows of houses, apartments and commercial buildings stretch for miles ahead. cars drive along the otherwise peaceful streets, their bright headlights the only sign of their existence. it's strange how such a shitty place can look so nice from a distance.

"holy shit..."

nick holds onto my hand as we admire the view together.

"you really weren't lying when you said it'd be worth it."
"told you," i chuckle, caressing his knuckles with my thumb.

"how'd you know about this place?"
"my dad took me for a hike up here when i was a kid. it's been my safe space for years now. no one ever really comes here, except for the occasional dog walker."

he nods, and i let go of his hand against my will to unfold the picnic blanket. it falls smoothly onto the dry ground. we place the food in the middle so we can pick and choose what we want. i sigh as i sink down on the thin fabric, motioning for nick to do the same. he doesn't lie down fully like me, instead just sitting with his chin resting on his knees.

"i hate this fucking town so much," he mumbles, "i just wanna get out."
"do it. what's stopping you?"

"oh you know, it's not like i have extremely controlling parents who barely lets me go outside the house or anything."
"if you just book it, how can they stop you?" i point out, grabbing a brownie and taking a bite.