CHAPTER 4

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
'This is what the Lord Almighty said: 'Administer true justice; show mercy and compassion to one another.'                                                                                        -Zechariah 7:9
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

'Whoever is trying to bring you down is already below you.' – Ziad K. Abdelnour

*****************************************

The courtroom was barely full. Lawyers and clients made last-minute preparations in the gallery while awaiting their appearance before the judge. The court clerk was a thin woman who, with her pinched features and pursed lips, seemed to have sipped vinegar for breakfast. She sat in front of the bench, busily typing the proceedings. Five police officers stood guard to escort offenders back to their cells.

Kodjo muttered to himself while flipping through the boy's folder, pausing occasionally to scribble something unto a legal pad. His brows were furrowed in concentration and he seemed wound up and frustrated at his inadequate preparation. The boy, on the other hand, was, as usual, a picture of composure. He seemed to radiate calm as his eyes swept around the courtroom.

'Where is the jury?' the boy enquired absentmindedly.

'There is no jury.'

'Why not?' he asked, his attention now aroused. 'On the TV I watched in jail, the court always had a jury with plenty of crowds and drama.'

'This is not a trial, just the preliminary hearing.' Kodjo replied absently.

'What's the difference?' he persisted.

Kodjo sighed. 'A preliminary hearing is a proceeding held to determine whether there is enough evidence or probable cause to warrant a trial and a trial is the proceeding held to determine the guilt or innocence of the person.'

'Oh.' The boy looked disappointed. 'I wanted to see a jury.'

The man who had currently been before the judge was being dragged away by an officer, and the bailiff, a portly man with greying hair, stepped forward to call out the next case.

Kodjo threw him a strange look. 'Well, for your sake, I hope you do not.'

'Case thirty-three: The State vs. John Doe.'

'C'mon kiddo, we're up.' Kodjo said, pulling him to his feet.

The Honourable Daniel Mensah-Williams was a heavyset man in his late sixties with gentle eyes that seemed a contradiction to his stern face. His wisps of white hair seemed plastered to his balding head as though he was stoutly refusing to let go of them.

'What are the charges?' the judge inquired in his usual gruff manner.

'Your honour, the defendant stands accused of multiple counts of vandalism to both public and private properties, causing serious bodily harm to citizens, two of them were placed in critical care and at least six with permanent disfigurement, terrorizing citizens, indecent public exposure, and disturbing the peace.' The public prosecutor, Ama Quansah read out.

The judge peered doubtfully down his old-fashioned rimless glasses at the boy, taking in his gentle absent-minded smile, calm appearance, average frame, and weight.

'Describe the charges and events in detail,' he said finally.

'Well, your honour,' the prosecutor began. 'On Monday, the sixth of August 2019, the defendant was at the Maola market stark naked-. '

'Objection, your honour. My client was allegedly seen there naked. My client is innocent until proven guilty by the court and the court has not made a ruling on his guilt.' Kodjo interjected.