Chapter 12: Occult Forest

You were lucky enough to stay and rest some days before being sent to your next mission, so during this time you were helping out as much as possible around the Estate due to the fact that you lived there free of charge.

During this time, Shinobu was sent to a solo mission out of her designated area. You remembered how dangerous your own missions were, which made you worry like crazy for her, especially since she's a Pillar. But unlike you, she would always come back unscathed and perfectly well, this was the thing that would keep you calmed during this time.

Kanao on the other hand would also leave from the Estate to complete small missions around the place and come back quickly since she would do her jobs very quickly. You were surprised by how strong she was, but she was Shinobu's Tsuguko after all so it was expected from her.

Since you took charge of the house you would usually cook for the girls and go to the local market to buy ingredients and stuff that Shinobu would use for her studies so Aoi could rest and take her time doing her chores.
As part of doing all these things, you learned a lot from Aoi and helped her check on the injured, take their vitals and giving them their respective medicine. It was entertaining learning a lot of people's background and why they joined the Corps. You would take your time listening to each person, you hoped to create a good relationship with other members in case you were ever paired up with one of them in a future.

One day you had finished cleaning and decided to wander around and go to Shinobu's lab where she would create her poison and do hardcore research on Demon physiology. You calmly walked towards the bookcases amazed by how many books and study journals had been written and acquired by Shinobu throughout the years.
You could notice all the dedication and effort that was put into this vast recollection of different ingredients for posions, medicines, sketches, it truly was something to admire.

You calmly took a book called 'Poison Compendium Vol. 1' and started reading it. It was very big and when you opened it, it was full of different illustrations and explanations on how to make a functional wisteria poison and where to apply it have maximum efficiency against weaker Demons.
In contrast it was more like a guide book so Shinobu could perfection her own breathing style and the creation of poison inside her scabbard.

It was very interesting, so you stayed there reading all of it, slowly learning how to create your own mixture of poison to fight in future missions. You took your time reading volume after volume until you found her study books about pharmaceutical products and medicine. Some of these were already included once in your journal.
You were completely immersed in this study but it was night time and you completely forgot about dinner so you tidied up the lab before you left and hurried to the kitchen where you found Aoi who had started cooking already. You felt completely embarrassed by this and started washing your hands so you could start helping out.

"I got completely distracted while cleaning out the lab, I'm sorry. Let me help you out" You said as you dried up your hands and grabbed a cutting board. "I don't mind at all, but if you could get the girls that would be great" she explained as she started serving hot rice freshly made into different bowls. You hurried to look for them all over the place.
You ended up finding them in the garden playing with the light bugs which you found incredibly adorable, they may be mature for their age but they are still kids after all, so seeing them enjoy themselves like this was actually quite the blessing.

You calmly called them over to which they ran towards you with some bugs in their hands excitedly showing you how they lit up when they let them go. "Come on over to the kitchen, Aoi prepared dinner" You said as you walked back inside, the girls didn't hesitate and ran passed you to the kitchen ready to eat but you quickly scolded them since they didn't wash their hands before eating.