A word on transgender individuals

I wrote this story with the intent of making a fun piece of TG fiction. I wanted it to be a grounded story, and not be a lot of coercing the protagonist (in differing levels of intensity) into becoming trans. I have enjoyed TG fiction that does this, but I wanted to give a different take.

Plus, I've noticed that the conflict in many of these is transphobic people against the protagonist. I do not wish to downplay the reality of this, simply offer a scenario that shows that there are kind individuals, even if they may not fully accept you.

I wanted to go into a more psychological struggle - because from what I have studied, and from the problems unique to me, I find that my greatest enemy can be myself. I found this a relatable, interesting conflict.

While I am very happy with this story, I feel that I need to make clear something. This is not in response to any kind of problem, or someone feeling distressed or offended at the story; I simply felt that this would be a good thing to add.

My story, though more grounded than a story where a boy is turned into a girl at a secret magic shop, is not trying to perfectly represent transgender individuals.

For one, my story, for dramatic purposes, takes place in the space of only about two months or so. While I make it clear that Cindy had been feeling dysphoria (and euphoria) about her identity in subconscious ways before then, from what I have found, most individuals who identify as trans take longer to acclimate themselves to the idea, and much, much longer to transition (though, this isn't a hard and fast rule).

I am not sure if anything in this story might be deemed offensive to the transgender community - if so, I apologize. I wanted to, of course, depict these individuals in a positive light.

I perhaps would have liked to also depict people with opposing viewpoints in a less harsh light, as I feel this is all too common, and that it exacerbates conflict. I am not talking about people throwing slurs, but people who have more subdued disagreeing views. This I think, is somewhat present in the character of Matt.

I think that the conflict that is present in the current conversation about identity would be less fierce if people were not so quick to retaliate in anger, and demonize the other side. This is not an accusation, just a suggestion, I guess in general. Basically, just because someone disagrees with you, or even hates you, doesn't mean you should hate them back.

*Gettin' off my soapbox now*

Eh hem. Hopefully not-controversial statements aside, the main reason I wanted to add this chapter - if you feel that you may be questioning your gender or sexual identity, please, please please do not take my story as fact.

These struggles are a process, not an event. Do not be hasty. If you are legitamately questioning these things, find people who can help you, not an author who likes tg fiction.

If I am to point out one place, on reddit, you'll find the subbreddit r/egg_irl. This is a page for trans memes, which although I am not trans, I find rather hilarious.

Thought the subreddit itself is meant to be funny, they have a discord server called "the hatchery" that is a great place for talking about this.

Here there are transgender (and other) individuals who know about these things. They can talk in private with you and help you with what can be very difficult feelings. They also have information on resources you can find, including suicide prevention help.

One of the reasons why I recommend them and find them trustworty - they make a point that people that help out in their server are not to coerce questioning individuals into being trans, but simply asking them questions, or presenting advice and options.

Remember - it is up to you to decide who you are, and deciding that you are your gender assigned at birth and you just like things of the opposite gender is just as valid as what others choose to do.

I hope that perhaps, my story, and my words here have helped you in some way.

Once again, to all my readers, thank you so much for reading, voting, and your kind comments. They make it all worth it.