The Beginning of The End (STILL continued)

Brandon's Point of View

I let go of Nikki and my worries threaten to rise again, but this time I'm able to suppress them. Trust is everything. I want to let her know I trust her completely, and would never want her to be out of my life, either.

I walk in class, my head in the clouds, as my history teacher begins explaining the importance of the next test. I try to listen, but I find myself thinking about Nikki.

I fell hard for Nikki, I'll admit that. Ever since that day I first saw her, I always knew there was something about her. Something I wanted to know. I wanted to understand her, to learn about her, to be with her.

Slowly but surely, my feelings for her grew stronger, and soon, I could no longer look at her without the fear of my heart pounding so loudly she's hear it. I wanted to ask her out so badly. I was always nervous when asking her, like I was when I asked her to the Halloween dance.

I remember how happy I was that she chose me, out of all the guys, to go to the Valentine's dance with her. A lot of trouble brewed during that day, but it was all worth it.

And then the listening party. Some bad things happened, but I learned to forgive her for what she said. She was just so worried for me. After all, she did help me win the competition. I kissed her, and electricity flowed through me when I did. She was beautiful all those times.

She's so special to me, and I can't ever imagine the unbearable pain of losing her. Not even Mackenzie will tear us apart.

~~~~~~~~~after class~~~~~~~~

I walk outside to go to my next class, and as I'm walking, the person I least wanted to see walks in my path.

Mackenzie: "Hey, Brandon. How are you, hon?"

She smiles a devious smile and twirls her hair between her fingers.

Brandon: "I was good before you came."

She sighs and pouts.

Mackenzie: "Oh, Brandon. You heard from Nikki, didn't you?"

I look at her in shock, mostly because she didn't deny it.

Mackenzie: "She's been spreading stupid rumors around. She just doesn't want you to know she's been hanging out with another guy. She wants you to get another guy jealous. She's just using you, Brandon."

I look at her like she's crazy. The Nikki I know would never do that. I can feel anger and hatred rise to the surface.

Brandon: "Nikki would never do that! I know your game, Mackenzie. Stop playing with my girlfriend AND me!"

She just looks at me and smiles.

Mackenzie: "So naïve. So sad."

Mackenzie's eyes widen for a second. She gasps and puts her hand on her mouth as she points to someone. I look to where she's pointing. My heart rips in two and jealously flows through me.

I see Nikki and another guy holding her hands up above her and kissing her. She's pushed up against a locker, her eyes wide and scared. This can't be real. No, she doesn't want to. I see it in her eyes. This is a setup. It has to be. I tell my mind this over and over again, trying to reassure myself.

Mackenzie: "Oh, poor darling. I told you. Now come here, I'll soothe the pain."

She opens her arms up wide, gesturing me to crawl into her hug. I look at her, anger bubbling in my blood. I do something I never thought I would ever do to another human being.

I slap her.

She looks at me, her eyes wide, as she reaches up the spot where I hit her. People start noticing more now. I know I should end it, but I can't stop the words flowing from my mouth.

Brandon: "What the hell is wrong with you?!"

She looks at me. I just glare at her.

Brandon: "You need help."

Mackenzie: "You'll regret loving her, Brandon Roberts. You will."

I scoff at her and glare.

Brandon: "Go to hell."

She stares at me with icy blue eyes, cursing me through them. I just shake my head and start walking away.

I look back at Nikki and run to her.

Nikki looks at me with wide eyes, and I see tears falling from them. The guy is still kissing her and I throw the guy off her.

???: "Hey dude! I was in the middle of something!"

Brandon: "Yeah, assaulting my GIRLFRIEND!"

I look at Nikki, and she's weeping as she's holding her knees to her chest. She looks at me, and my heart breaks. She's rubbing at her lips, and I hear her whispering sorry over and over. She finally just yells while tears run down her cheeks:

Nikki: "Brandon, I'm so sorry, I'm so so sorry. It wasn't my fault!"

I shake my head and help Nikki up. I hold her in my arms and try to reassure her.

Brandon: "Shh. I forgive you Nikki, I do."

She cries harder on my chest. Everyone's staring now, an entire crowd gawking at the stuff happening.

The guy just looks at me like he doesn't care. I glare at him.

Brandon: "What the hell is wrong with you man!"

???: "What? This girl payed me to kiss her. She said this girl wanted it! It was a win-win situation in my opinion."

Before I can say another word, someone is pushing through the crowd towards us. It's principal Winston, I realize. This can't be good.

Winston: "What's on earth is going on here?"

Mackenzie steps up and she sneers at me as she walks to the principal.

Mackenzie: "I can tell you everything, Principal Winston."

She smiles deviously and looks straight at me. I fear what's coming. I look at Nikki, and she's still crying on my shoulder. She looks up, wiping her tears. She whispers:

Nikki: "I'm so sorry, Brandon. I love you! I love you!"

I look at her, and realize none of this was her fault. I love her. I forgive her.

Brandon: "It's okay, Nikki. I love you. I love you."

Tears run down my own face and I look away, waiting for Mackenzie to start talking. Even though I know the worst is coming, with Nikki in my arms, I can handle this. I can.

I smile softly and hold her tighter. I don't care that everyone is staring. Nothing, nothing will break us.