Chapter 29/30 Combined✓

Carter

Cold. I am so unbelievably cold. All I can feel is the deep, painful shivers that wrack my body. My muscles ache and my jaw is tense from how hard my body shakes as it tries to warm itself up. I had woken up a few hours ago in complete darkness, confusion swirling through my mind.

I felt around, only to find myself locked in what I believe to be one of the three holding cells in the lab. I run my hands along my body and I'm relieved to know I'm still in the clothes I had arrived in, Tyler's shirt and boxers. Though they're not clothes meant for warmth, at least I knew no one undressed me while I was unconscious.

For a while, I tried to feel around the cell for either a broken or loose bar that may be the key to my escape. To my disappointment, the cell is built incredibly well. I had gone from calm and collected, to screaming and shaking the bars much faster than I would care to admit.

Now I sit with my back against the wall with my arms wrapped around my knees tightly, trying to preserve as much energy and body heat as I can. I know I have failed. I know I have given up. I had not been able to escape and now I am responsible for the fact that not only am I going to die, but now Quinn and Xander would as well.

I may not be the one to personally end their lives, but I might as well be. Tyler and Chantal told me their entire plan, and there is nothing I can do about it. Viktor is going to kill me at some point today, and then I would finally be out of the way for Chantal to mate Quinn and Xander. It's all working out perfectly for them.

My eyes fill with unshed tears and my heart aches painfully in my chest. I will never see my guys again. I will never be held in their arms, never feel their lips on mine, never get to apologize for making the biggest mistake of my life by rushing into the bed of another man. I'll never get to tell them how much I loved them. A deep sob escapes me and echoes through the room at my last thought; I'll never get to say goodbye.

It hurts to know that they won't even know what has happened to me. For all I know they found out what I had done when they got to Tyler's cabin and went right back to the pack house. They thought I had taken off with Tyler and would disappear like I had before. I have so many regrets for how I've handled things since coming back to Spiritwood.

The echoing sound of the door opening pulls me from my thoughts, and I have to squint my eyes as they adjust to the blinding light that suddenly fills the room. Viktor confidently walks in and shuts the door behind him. He's wearing a black t-shirt and dark jeans. He smirks down at the sight of me curled up in the corner of the cell.

"Good morning, dear Carter. Hope you had a good night's rest." He chuckles as he walks up to the cell before kneeling in front of me. I'm disappointed to see that his face is clear of any bruising or swelling. I know I broke his nose yesterday when I hit him so he must have some way of healing himself and that makes me want to hit him harder.

"Just get it over with already," I whisper and look away from him. I wrap my arms around my tucked knees and hold myself tight.

"Why the rush? Do you wish to die, Carter?" He raises his eyebrows at me. I don't bother responding to him. I won't give him the satisfaction of knowing how defeated I am.

Viktor stands and walks back over to the cabinets with the vials and begins to open drawer after drawer, as he gathers items together on a metal tray. When he has all the items he's looking for, he turns and takes the tray over to one of the metal beds in the middle of the room and places the tray down on the small table beside it.

"First things first. I'm going to take a sample of your blood before I begin to finalize my plans." He says simply as he picks up a large syringe and moves it to the side of the tray.