Chapter 55/56 Combined ✓

Carter

The door opens and I see Serena being held in David - Quinn's fathers - arms. His eyes flicker up and meet mine and he gives me a small smile. He's wearing a button up white shirt and black slacks. His dark hair is speckled with white along the sides. As tense as he looks in this moment, his smile still looked genuine.

I have spent quite a bit of time getting to know Serena, but I don't know much about the man who is my mates father. The man who dedicated his life to the pack I was about to become a member of. I make a mental note to get to know him better.

I watch as he leans down and presses a soft kiss to the top of Serena's head before whispering something into her ear that is too quiet for me to notice. She nods and unwraps her arms from around his body before stepping back.

Serena turns and looks back at me. Her eyes are red rimmed and misty. It hurts my heart to see such an incredible woman crying. I slowly walk over to her and pull her in for my own hug. She is quickly becoming such a big part of my heart and I will forever be grateful for that.

"I'm sorry for how I behaved, Daughter of the Moon and Sun. I should have been more composed." She carefully wraps her arms around me in return.

"It's okay, you really don't need to apologize. I'm not sure what happened, but I couldn't imagine the weight you have on your shoulders." I give her a quick squeeze and step back, releasing my arms from around her small frame.

"I need you to know how much I love you for coming into my boys lives." Serena sniffles. "They have been so lost for so many years and for the first time in years I am seeing my son come back to life. I'm seeing the light in his eyes and a genuine smile on his face. You will do amazing things, my girl. I cannot thank you enough."

My nose burns as I blink away the onslaught of tears that have appeared. How can I explain to her that it is me who needs to be thanking Quinn and Xander for accepting me?

"Alright, enough of this sadness. We have a ceremony to begin!" Anita says, trying to lighten the energy in the room as she passes me a small bouquet of orange and red wildflowers.

I look up to see David smile at me once more before turning and leaving the room. Serena's head shoots up and her eyes are full of emotion as they met mine. She runs her hands down her light blue sundress, smoothing out the material.

"She's right! This is a happy day. This is a moment that all the packs will talk about for centuries! There is no time for sadness. Come on, my girl. Let's get you mated!" She smiles and holds her hand out for me to hold.

"But... we don't have any shoes on. No one has shoes on..." I frown.

I know shoes are the last thing that should be on my mind, but in my anxious state I can't get my thoughts past my bare feet.

"You're right, we don't. It's okay. You'll see why in a moment." Anita giggles.

"I don't understand."

"Tonight, is a momentous occasion for the entire werewolf community. Every female attending will be wearing a sundress, while every male will have a dress shirt and slacks. " Serena explains. "Once your ceremony is over, everyone will strip of what they are wearing and allow their wolves to take over. Quinn and Xander as the Alpha's and yourself as our Luna, will lead the wolves in a single run to celebrate the unity in our packs."

"Shoes would just be another barrier to be removed. The excitement takes over for our wolves and this would just add more time. Our beasts can be quite the impatient creatures, dear." Anita laughs and I can't help but join in before another thought has me coming to a stop.