⊱ Prologue ⊰

Prologue
A sip of death

Agad kong sinuot ang shades ko nang makalabas na ng van. I was surrounded by my bodyguards before I even stepped on the ground, and the flashes coming from the cameras around me made it hard for me to see.

The wind outside gently ran through the strands of my hair as I strolled along with the guards who paved the way for me. For my outfit, I wore tweed, designer coordinates that consisted of a thick cropped blazer, with a white long-sleeved polo underneath it, and a matching short, high-waisted, pleated skirt that emphasized my tall height.

Habang nag-lalakad, I couldn't help but listen to the whispers of the people scattered at the front of the airport.

"I heard she's the heiress of the Castroverdes." A boy, who seemed like a teenager sneakily grabbed his phone out of his pocket.

"Huy! Anong ginagawa mo?" The girl beside him alarmingly questioned, and even had the guts to peek at the man's screen who is obviously recording me.

"Put that down, Max! We might get in trouble for that!" Aniya, at akmang hahablutin sana ang cellphone mula sa lalaki ngunit nakailag ito.

"Dulce naman, eh! I've only seen her in pictures!"

The noise began to strengthen as we arrive at the front doors.

"Lola, tignan mo, oh! Ang ganda nya!" A little girl ran to an old woman, whom she referred to as her grandmother.

In awed, I turned to face them and waved at the child who did the same to me in return. I then looked back at the crowd behind me and smiled at them before finally entering.

"Are you sure you want to go alone?" Pambungad na tanong sa akin ng isa sa mga tauhan ko nang marating na namin ang loob ng airport.

"Yes, Nikolai, for the tenth time." I sighed before answering the question he's been asking me ever since we left the house.

He squinted his eyes at me, dahilan na matawa ako. "If you say so."

We stopped by the airport's lounge to wait. Then finally left when it was just about time for my flight. I was in first class, meaning I'll be one of the passengers to enter the plane before everyone else.

I couldn't hide my excitement as we reach the large hallway.

"Take care, Amari." Xaviel, another one of my men who is also Nikolai's cousin, stated. "Update us when you've arrived in Madrid, or anytime whenever you're in trouble. We'll be there as soon as we can." He patted my head before passing my bags.

"Sige. Sakay kayo ng helicopter papuntang Europe, tas sky-diving papuntang Spain."

I burst a laugh. "Abangan ko kayo sa rooftop!"

Ilang minuto rin ang tinagal ng tawa ko, na naputol lang nang bigla nalang ako batukan ni Nikolai.

"Aray—Puta!" Reklamo ko at hinila ang kanyang buhok para batukan sya pabalik, ngunit mas malakas pa sa ginawa nya sa akin, kaya't napangiwi sya sa hapdi.

"Nikolai, don't be such a nuisance." Sermon ni Xaviel sa pinsan nyang hinihimas-himas ang kanyang ulo pagkatapos ko itong bitawan.

I fixed my hair using my fingers and decided to tie it up into a bun. Saka sunod na inilapit ang aking mga bagahe para sana hilain na ang mga ito nang pigilan nila ako.