Chapter 22

When I came to the sun was high in the sky, shining into the room I was in. I lifted my body up from the bed I was in and nearly stumbled. My head ached as I sat up. Which didn't seem right as last time I checked I'd hadn't fallen or hit my head so why was it hurting. Blinking a few times to adjust to them light, my eyes landed in the pattern of the bedding. Green and white stripes. The same bedding I had at...Charlies. My eyes moved away from the bed and landed on the walls surrounding me. I was in my room. Back at Charlies. I was no longer at the Cullens house, but at my own.
     But how the hell did i get here? The last thing I remembered was Bella being rushed into the medical ring of their house and her screams. Then I blacked out. I was pretty sure that i did....or did I? Then my mind clicked.
Jasper.
Of course.
That's what Alice was whispering to him. To get me away from what was about to happen to my sister. To get me out of there. Damn him. Even after I told them that I wanted to be there for my sister. And they even agreed to it. I couldn't believe this. And yet...I wasn't too frustrated. Bella hadn't exactly started to give birth in the way any of us were hoping for. One small little accident happened and then everything went into chaos after that. The only question now was how long had I been out for? And was my sister alright?
      But I already knew the answer to the last question. Getting dressed and heading downstairs, all the past conversations flooded back to me.
By now Bella was slowly changing. Beginning her transformation process as they called it. The next time I would see my sister she would have those blood red eyes and be as pale as ghost. But she'd look like a goddess. And I wasn't so sure if I was ready to see her like that yet...especially if she was not in control of her thirst...
                From what I could see, Charlie had already left for work. Which didn't really help in figuring out how early or late it was. But with the sun up in the sky it seemed to me that it was mid afternoon. Glancing up at the clock above the sink I was right. It had been two o'clock for several minutes now.
However that still didn't help me to figure out how long I had been out. Had I been out for mere hours or a whole day? I couldn't seem to find my phone this morning either and Charlie wasn't one to keep calendars around either so that was out of the picture to check. I let out a frustrated sigh and did the next best thing. I called Jake's number on the house phone. Within a few seconds he pickled up.
     "Alex. Your awake!". The excitement in his voice sent a jolt of electricity down my spine.
    "Yeah...what the hell happened? And how did I get back to Charlie's?"
    "I drove you. Charlie asked if you were okay and I said that you'd been awake for days. Figured he should let you sleep".
I sighed. Another lie to add to the every growing list.
    "How long have I been out?"
    "A day and a half". He answered. Not as long as I thought, but still not good. I had been out longer then I had expected. No doubt Jasper was probably not thrilled about it, but he was just doing it to keep me safe. Even if it pissed me off. If Alice hadn't asked him to do it I was pretty sure Edward would have then. That also meant that in less then two days Bella would be fully transformed. My only sister would be a vampire for the rest of my life. I sighed. The nerves and stress started to set in.
    "Alex are you-"
    "Where are you?" I asked, interrupting him.
    "At home. Why?"
I needed to see her. Even if she was not conscious..I had to see my sister. And my...
My niece.
Or my nephew.
I was an aunt now...
All this time I was so focused on my sister that I had forgotten about my sister's child. My niece or nephew.
    "I need to see her...and-'
    "Are you sure? I don't want to upset you-"
   "Jake, please. I just need to see her...them both".
Jake seemed to hesitate, but then agreed to come and pick me up. I thanked him and said that I'd see him soon. I then hung up the phone and let out a breath that I had been holding in.
Soon everything would change. My sister would be a mother, immortal and a vampire and then she wouldn't be my sister anymore. At least not in the way that I knew her. She'd be different and she would no longer fit into my world. Charlie's world. Renee's world. She had to never see them again. Make up some story that she died. They would both be heartbroken. And me..I had have to pretend to be sad. I had have to lie to their faces. I didn't know if I was ready for that..
    But I had no choice. To keep Jake, Bella and the Cullen's safe I had to. I didn't have a choice. I was just grateful and lucky that I didn't have to lose my sister too. I could still belong in her world even if at a distance for a while. I'd take that over losing her any day.

   It didn't take long for Jake to arrive to pick me up. As he got out of the truck I tackled him into a hug. He planted his lips against mine and I kissed him back. I was happy to see him smiling. Especially after the last time when both of us where in panic, terrified mode. Everything was different from the last time I was at the Cullen's. All of us didn't know what was going to happen. Now, as we pulled up I didn't know what to think. Both of us got out of the car and were greeted by Carlisle and Esme. Who I hadn't seen since the night before everything happened. Esme smiled at me and Carlisle seemed to be in better spirits. They both did.
"Good to see you well, Alex". Esme replied, "Especially under better circumstances".
"Agreed". Carlisle stated. I nodded my head. I knew that Edward was probably in ear shot. Either way since I was close by that he had access to my thoughts. Not that it would do him any good. I wasn't going to hide what I was doing here. And I was pretty sure he and all of them knew it.
"I just wanted to make sure-"
"Bella is alright". Edward opened the front door. I hadn't heard him coming, which I shouldn't have been surprised about. They were vampires. And vampires were stealthy and sneaky. They could have been right behind you and you wouldn't even know it. I breathed out a sigh of relief. Thank goodness that she was alive and okay. Even if she wasn't going to be human anymore.
"And so is your niece".
My niece...
They had a daughter.
Bella had a daughter.
I couldn't hide the slight smile creeping up on lips. I was an aunt. To a niece. A little girl. Sensing my smile Edward chuckled in response. I was sure that he was thrilled. He was a father. To a little girl. And to him and all of them it was a miracle. Vampires couldn't have children as their bodies were frozen in time and yet he did. Edward would be a father. And I knew that he would be a great father.
"C-Can I see her?" Carlisle seemed a little abrasive about my request.
"Alex-"
"Carlisle, Renesmee is Alex's niece. Her family. We shouldn't deny her that right. It would be rude of us to do so". Esme spoke softly, trying to persuade Carlisle that everything would be alright. Edward nodded at his father that it would be okay.
I could feel my body tense up as Jake reached for my hand and we both followed Edward into the house. We made our way up the stairs and I could see the other Cullen's siting around as we approached. The only one who wasn't facing us was Rose. I didnt know why...Until she turned around.
A light gasp escaped through my lips as I saw what she was cradling in her arms. A little baby girl...my niece....only she seemed to be older. Like she was already weeks old. She somehow looked even a year old...How was that possible? She wasn't even two days old and yet...
"Her growth is accelerated". Carlisle stated sensing my confusion. I nodded my head and moved closer to them both. To Renesmee. How beautiful she was. Her little tuff of brown hair and brown eyes just like her mothers.
"This is your auntie". Rose spoke childlike to Renesmee. The little girl giggled and out stretched her arms and if she was begging Rose to let her be in my arms. I glanced up at her and Rose smiled. Then she handed her to me. Renesmee settled perfectly in my arms as if she already knew who I was. Then she stared up at me with those big eyes of hers. Such joy they showed in them as she took me all in. As I was doing the same. She was so precious. How she even existed was a gift and I was sure everyone in this room knew that.
Glancing over at Jake. He smiled that genuine gentle smile at me and I smiled back at him. In that moment as my eyes moved over back to my niece I swore that I would protect her. I would never let anyone hurt her. With everyone here in this room she would be loved for years to come and nothing would hurt her if I had anything to say about it.

Enjoy a new chapter. And hope your all staying safe and healthy.