Chapter 26

A few days later I found myself back at the Cullen house hold. Bella had gone hunting with Edward and Emmett so it was perfect time for me to be over. None of the others minded my constant company, even Rose was happy to see me from time to time. Which threw me for a loop, but I was sure she was just happy being around Renesmee that me being here didn't matter. That and a few visit I had shown up without Jake, like today so that too probably made her day. Though today there seemed to be some tension in the air. Jasper seemed to pick up on my notice of it.
     "Aro has sent your sister a gift". he spoke up, gesturing to the box on the kitchen table.
    "Oh". I moved away from Rose to focus on the fancy object. I pulled up the lid of the box and inside saw the glorious piece of jewelry that sat inside. Underneath it sat a note. Reading it a shiver went down my back. They were looking forward to meeting the new Bella.
I had never met the Volturi and I had no desire to.
Especially from what Edward had told me about them. I shouldn't have been surprised that they would want to really know if Bella had been changed or if the Cullens were just lying. Either way a visit there was going to happen soon and I would have been lying if i said I wasn't terrified. Though I wasn't going to be part of it, there was still the fact that I was a human. Mixed up in the Cullens world with no desire of becoming one of them. If they knew the I knew about them....I shook my head and put down the necklace and note. Not today. Today I was here for my niece. Not to get scared. I had had enough of that for a while.
     "It's pretty, but I've seen prettier". Rose stated as she watched Renesmee play. It had only been a few days, but Renesmee was growing fast. It was expected, but still....it was strange to see. In no time she'd be a a full grown child and that seemed to scare all of us.
    "I would imagine in your collection?" I asked. Rose smirked.
    "Of course, Alex". She stated, "even Alice has better things then that". That I believed.
     "She should. I gifted her with some of them". Jasper chimed in from across the other room. I rolled my eyes and continued to watch my niece smile and giggle with joy.

         This was how I spent most of my afternoons. Here with my niece, watching her quickly grow up. Surrounded by my new family or at Jake's with him. Billy was more then happy to see me around more often. And so did the pack. Many nights I was invited over to Emily's for either dinner or a campfire. Which usually turned into who could roast the most marshmallows or who could burn the most. After a few nights they stopped inviting me and I just would come over at seven and they'd all be gathered there.
      As fun as it was, it was still awkward. It being at Emily's, Sam was there all the time. Front and center. He hadn't bothered to apologize since the first time and I wasn't really talking to him. So, we both just ignored one another at the get togethers. None of the pack tried to get us to talk. Neither did Emily. For that I was grateful.
    After spending the day with Renesmee and my sister again, I drove out to Emily's that evening. Jake, with Seth sitting on the steps spotted me as I got of of the truck. Shirtless, of course, probably from a run, bolted straight to me and scooped me into his arms. His warm body engulfed me fully and I didn't want to let go.
     "Your late!"
I planted a kiss on his lips, "Not my fault". I replied.
     "Renesmee?"
I shook my head, "Alice this time".
Jake raised an eyebrow, "your my girlfriend".
I smile at him and pulled away, but interlocked his fingers with mine. "Alice is family". reminded him. Seth smiled at the two of us.
    "Your family here too, Alex" Seth stated as the three of us made our way over to the campfire. I sat down beside Jake on the only empty log left.
    "Seth's right". Jake agreed, reaching for a marshmallow. "All of us here consider you family practically".
    "I consider you guys practically family too, but the Cullens...Edward, I should say is actually family. By marriage though". Either way I thought of all of the Cullen's as my in laws. Even if none of them were related. That didn't matter. They were more like a family then most blood related families. Upon first glance anyone would mistake them for a blood related family. Even I did when I first saw them.
    "Jake could be your family. Through marriage". Emily chimed into with a wide grin across her lips. Heat erupted across my cheeks while the rest of my body was overcome by that same intensity heat. I didn't bother to look at Jake but I could tell from the laughter that he too was embarrassed.
    "Look here, Jake's blushing". Quill chuckled. Jake shot a glare his way, shutting Quill up in an instant.
    "Shut up". Embry shot back. My eyes drifted to Jake's as his met mine.
    "I-I mean..."I started, but then hesitated.
Emily did have a point though. I was Jake's mate and he loved me unconditionally. We had both been through so much and had still come back to one another. Why wouldn't we get....married?
But that had never crossed my mind.
Hadn't it?
Not that i could remember, but why couldn't it happen? We both loved each other and we knew, for while now, that we had no plans to break up or separate.
Coming back to Forks and seeing Jake again...that had been one of the best days of my life. I was so thrilled to have him back in my life. Even when I learned that he was a literal werewolf I didn't care. I wanted to be around him. Through all the lies and dangers we had faced I wouldn't have traded any of it. I wouldn't trade him for anyone else. I loved Jacob Black then and I loved him now....I just wasn't so sure if I was ready for marriage...
I let out a sigh and leaned my head against Jake's shoulder. "I just want to enjoy now". I finally answered. "I want to enjoy the peace and the life I have now. Bella is awake and not being hunted. I have a wonderful niece. Its the first bit of peace Ive had since moving back here". It wasn't a yes, but it wasn't a no either. It was a wait and let us just enjoy the now. Just enjoy the moments we had now.
      "At least she didn't say no, Jacob". Emily winked at Jake. Jake rolled his eyes playfully at her and we just enjoyed each other's company the rest of the evening.
**

      "Did you really mean what you said tonight?" Jake questioned as we both laid sprawled out on my bed. "About wanting to just enjoy right now?" It was just the two of us here tonight. Charlie had decided to spend the night at Sue's. So, I had no problem inviting Jake inside.
I nodded, "I did".
    "It wasn't a no". Jakes eyes graced over mine.
     "No it wasn't". I whispered back to him. Inching my face closer to his.
     "You'd marry me..."
I smiled, "I would, Jake. Of course I would". Jake smiled those perfect tan lips off his and I couldn't help myself. I leaned in and planted mine against his. Then I shifted my body so it was pressed up against his. His arm traced along my back to my hip as I pulled my lips from his.
     "But I need some time".
     "Alex-"
I sighed. "Both of us have been through so much in the last few months. In the last year. We now have a chance to breath and finally have some peace. I want to enjoy that peace while we still have it, Jake".
From the look in his eyes I could tell that he was upset, but he didn't have to be. I brushed my hands against his cheeks.
    "Give me til the end of the year". I stated. That would be enough time for me to enjoy the peace and everything that came with it and it would be enough time for Jake to spend more time with me and to still see if he was set on marrying me so soon. I wasn't ready to rush into anything, but we wouldn't have to get married right away. Many couples stayed engaged for many months. Years even.
     "Are you serious?"
Nervous. I nodded my head. "Til the end of the year then after January first it's fair game". Jake's genuine smile deepened and I could feel my insides fluttering.
    "I love you, Alex Swan".
My cheeks arose with fire. "I love you too, Jake. But please don't say anything to anyone. Not even Bella. This is a big thing...for both of us and I just want to enjoy what we have now and not rush into anything".
Jake nodded in understanding and laid his forehand up against mine. "Ill give you all the time you need, Alex so long as there's a ring on your finger given to you by me and me alone". I smiled then kissed him.
     "Do not go over the top". I ordered him in-between kisses we shared. Jake cupped my face and brought it closer to his.
     "I don't know if I can keep that promise". Jake grinned. Pulling away I bit my bottom lip and sat up.
     "Its not a request". I stated playfully, "Its an order". Jake seemed to understand my order, but it was all up to his willingness to obey it when it came down to him choosing the actual ring.
The ring.....
Not even a day ago I was thinking about my sweet niece and now here I was talking about my future engagement ring. It was only a few short hours ago that this topic had been brought up and now here me and Jake, sprawled out on my bed talking about marriage. The very idea of being engaged next year scared me, but it also excited me.
     Yes it was huge step in any relationship, especially ours, but....maybe we were ready for it. Everything we had been through had only made us stronger. More sure of what we wanted. Being closer to Jake...the very idea of that sent waves of happiness into me. And as Jake wrapped his arms around me I felt that we all deserved a piece of happiness for everything that we all had been through. We had earned it.
Jake must have slipped out sometime last night or early this morning as he wasn't there when I woke up. From the footsteps downstairs I could tell that Charlie was back home. Pulling myself out of bed my thoughts went back to last night. I pressed my lips together and let out a sigh I hadn't realize I had been holding in. Without even a second thought I had told Jake that I wanted to to marry him. Not right away, but I had given him my answer. Not that he didn't already know my answer. Of course I figured that I'd be marrying him one day. Imprint or not I loved him with all that I was. There was no way that I was going to leave him.
I was nervous. Terrified of what was going to happen, but who wasn't? It was a big step in any relationship, but we had been through enough to know that we were together until the end. That we were right for each other. That didn't mean that I wasn't afraid for the future. Cause I was. But I knew that with Jake by my side we could get through anything.

Marriage? What....
So in the original mock up  did for this story I did not even mention marriage for them. It was just implied that after the story they got married. But then I realized that you guys kind of deserved a wedding. So here we are!
Stay tuned to see where this marriage stuff goes!