UNDT: Chapter Fourteen.

This chapter is dedicated to KhalidweT

AN: Assalamu alaikum people. How are you all? I hope you are all doing well. May Allah bless you all. How was the last chapter? You can leave an inline comment here.

Thank you.

And then this chapter begins.

****************************
Muhammad stared at the numbers displayed on his phone's screen. It was Salma's number. He wanted to call her. But he had this feeling that things won't go as he planned. Salma might tell him to leave her alone and never call her again. He imagined a scenario where Salma would tell him to go and find someone new because she was not coming back to him. And then he would be doomed for eternity.

He quickly cleared off all negative thoughts from his mind and took a deep breath. After three whole minutes of contemplation, he finally pressed the call button and put the phone to his ear. His heart was somersaulting.

Salma was in the living room playing scrabble with Safiyya and Saliha. Suddenly, her phone started ringing. She picked it up and scrunched her face after seeing the screen.

"Who is it? Is everything okay?" asked Safiyya.

"I don't know. It's an unknown caller." replied Salma. She looked at the number once again then answered the call.

"Assalamu alaikum." she said.

Muhammad held his breath. She actually did answer his call. He was half expecting she wouldn't answer.

"Hello?" she said again.

"Wa'alaikumusalam." he quickly answered. "Salma, is that you?" he asked.

"Yes. Who am I speaking with?" asked Salma her eyebrows knitting in confusion.

"It's Muhammad." he replied.

She instantly recognized his voice. Her jaw dropped. She now understood his hesitation before speaking.

"Mu-m-Muhammad?" she stammered.

Safiyya was watching with a concerned expression on her face while Saliha was busy trying to form a new word. So she gestured to Salma to go to her roon. Salma did exactly that.

"Muhammad why are you calling me?" she asked after composing herself.

Muhammad felt a pang in his heart. That was the first question she asked him after almost three years. Wow!

"Salma I-"

"I thought we were done?" she asked again cutting him off.

He kept silent and so did she.

After a few seconds of painful silence, Muhammad spoke.

"I never wanted to end it with you. I made a terrible mistake and I sincerely want to correct it. I did unjustifiable horrible things to you and I regret it. Please forgive me. I want to make things right for both of us. Please let me. When I told you that I would wait for you, I meant it." he said, his voice shaking.

Salma quietly listened to him. She didn't know what to say to him.

"Salma? Are you still there?" she heard him ask.