Chapter 12: The Distant Memory

Song: In My Dreams - Kali Uchis

Y/N

His lingering steps made the pumped blood on my cheeks more apparent than usual. I could barely grasp the notion that the boy who lived, a name so renowned in my world, was merely steps away from me.

The end of his notorious scar was the first sight my nervous eyes focused on as he made his way to me at last. Though he was still concerned by my presence in this ever so secretive room, his gaze was a welcoming one and gave me the confidence to reply when he asked why I was in this very room.

But, I suppose, not enough to answer as sharply and eloquently as Hermione did.

"Don't worry" she handed him the scribbled note I once held on to so tightly and proceeded, "She's not working for Umbridge...and besides" she slid her polished hand across his shoulder before continuing, "the more the merrier, right?"

She soon headed towards everybody else, who she was yearning to be with from the moment I ran into her.

The two of us, by the mysterious door and isolated from the rest, were struggling to come up with the remaining words to say.

"Sorry..." He spoke at last.

"We don't usually umm get a lot of Slytherin students" his nervousness made him chuckle, "as you have already probably noticed."

He was right, there wasn't a single serpent emblem or verdant tone in sight. And it was perfectly understandable as to why. From my time in this palace, I came to know it was a common presumption that Slytherins were egocentric, arrogant, and most importantly, never to be trusted.

Their true nature was irrelevant, lies have a way of becoming truths if enough people believe in them.

"Can't blame you" my voice shook just a little, still uncomfortable by him.

He tilted his head in the direction of the group he was now heading towards, indicating that I should follow him as he did so. I couldn't keep my wide eyes off of the students who were now completely focused on the gibberish they were uttering a minute before the interruption of my arrival.

Harry, quite astutely, noticed the intense gaze of perplexity on my blushed face.

"We are practicing our Patronus Charms" he said, pulling back his lips to reveal a tiny smile. It wasn't hard to tell he was passionate about the spell, a spell I've heard of before but never bothered to memorise its usage. It was clear by the hint of desperation in the students amongst me that I didn't have the privilege to ignore protection spells anymore.

I wished, now more than ever, that I had payed more attention when Pansy spoke of the tragic incident during the Triwizard Tournament. It was unwise of me to tune out her voice before going to bed every night, sometimes she had interesting things to say.

"Its uh, used for protection against dementors." Much to my surprise, Harry wasn't arrogant - a common characteristic of those that know as much as he knows. He said it endearingly, with the simple purpose of helping.

But, what surprised me the most was that Draco's constant chatter about him got to me, somehow leading me to expect a completely different person.

Out of fear of sounding naive, I nodded in response, hiding the truth that I was completely clueless as to what dementors were.It was clear that no one around wanted them near, so I made sure to pay attention to the others.

Harry and I didn't talk much longer. Before he ran off to aid a struggling young boy, he said nonchalantly "ask Ginny for help."

Upon hearing his words, Ginny's skin darkened one shade pinker and her lips betrayed her, revealing a short but sweet grin.