Chapter 16: Confession

Song: Bad Blood - Bastille 

Y/N

I fidgeted with the loose silver ring on my index finger as if doing so would give me any answers to the vast questions in my head. I wondered whether returning Luna's possessions was simply another ploy or perhaps they were rewarding me for my misleading cooperation...

I had been so busy pondering I failed to notice Luna reading a magazine upside down and jiggling a necklace made of Butterbeer caps in her left hand. Had it not been for Mrs. Norris's purr coming from the end of the hallway, I would never have realised we weren't being as secretive as we had thought.

"Luna, wait" I extended my right arm, stopping her from walking any further. "I think we are being followed."

The jiggling stopped and she now turned towards me, her lips parted slightly when she noticed the cat making its way towards us. I knew how this story played out all too well.

"Should we run... or hide?" I whispered nervously and took a step backwards as slowly as possible, trying my hardest to silence the squeak of my leather boots against the polished floor.

"I got lost here once, its nothing but hallways. There is no place to hide." She murmured softly and grabbed my arm to pull me with her as she turned around and began to pace.

The cat's purr seemed louder now, though the distance between us was greater than before. I struggled deciding whether to pace faster or quieter. It was impossible to do both properly.

"I think we should slow down." I pulled her closer before turning backwards. The cat was now gone but it remained indefinite whether this was a good sign or not.

"Common, Y/N" Luna said in a calm disposition as she grabbed me by the arm gently and continued. Her composure eased my nerves for a moment but it wasn't long until they resurfaced, making my heart race faster.

The sunlit hallway seemed longer than usual and each step we took felt useless. It was difficult to tell how far we had gotten from where we were moments before.

Until, finally, we came across a potential escape, another long corridor on the left. At the end of it, a minuscule dirty wooden door stood, it looked as if it had been made over a thousand years ago.

"Oh, that door seems familiar. I came here once looking for Rackspurts, I think it may be the attic." She whispered, only this time with a hint of enthusiasm in her voice.

My face turned blank. Panic made it difficult to speak quietly,

"No, no, no this can't be happening."

I wasn't exactly sure but the boys could have been lurking around these hallways after what I had told them. I pulled her with me into the corner of the hallway, where we stood against the crystalline cool wall and tried to remain still.

A wave of guilt now flooded my consciousness. I hated myself for even thinking of mentioning Dumbledore's army. Surely, whatever Zabini had planned to do with me had I not said anything couldn't be any worse than this.

My attention now turned towards the sound of approaching footsteps heading for the old wooden door. An overwhelming wave of mental anguish took over and our hearts, now beating twice as fast, felt as if they would soon explode from out of our chests.

"Who is it?" She whispered curiously and more nervous than I'd ever seen her.

I couldn't contain myself from peeking. My sweaty fingertips pressed tightly against the corner, now touching the beginning of the other corridor's wall. As my breathing intensified, I moved my head slowly and tried to see clearly without comprising our awful hiding spot.