Chapter 20: I Put a Spell on You

Songs: 

Only in My Dreams - The Marias 

Love in the Sky - The Weeknd

Y/N

The sun did not hesitate to leave so soon. An incoming storm in the distance forced me back inside. I stared at the garden for a moment before leaving, not knowing if I would see it again before Samhain came to an end.

I couldn't shake the feeling that I was being observed. There were no visible eyes in sight, just a lurking stare I couldn't pin point. I instinctively turned my head upwards when I saw a shadow from one of the Gothic long windows a few floors above. It left too abruptly to pinpoint who it belonged to.

Had I not been dwelling on this morning I would have cared more. Instead, I thought about the possibility of winning his affections though that will always seem highly unlikely to me.

I could never just objectify you. You're far too beautiful.

I replayed these words over and over, pondering if he truly meant them. These were silly daydreams, I knew that. Yet they flooded my consciousness anyway...only making me want to be near him again. But he was no where to be found. Perhaps his sudden disappearance was for the best, a sign even.

I followed the sound of voices coming from a couple floors above. My father and Mr. Malfoy were in his office. The room was pitch black and otherwise empty if not for the oak desk, leather antiquated chairs, and almost empty glass bottles that contained an amber muggle drink I had now forgotten the name of.

The door was slightly open but open enough for Mr. Malfoy to catch a glimpse of me a few steps away. By the look of his penetrative light eyes, I knew I wasn't allowed to be on this floor. Without breaking eye contact he closed the door rather harshly, so suddenly my father didn't even notice my presence.

Ah, I suppose the apple does not fall far from the tree. Not even motherly love can change the fact that despite it all, he was still his father. With each passing minute I spent here, it was becoming easier to solve the enigma that was Draco Malfoy. I expected to feel more...repulsed. I wasn't fond of what I felt instead.

Empathy.

I suppose there are many things that may lead to feeling empathy for someone. Meeting their father is certainly one of them. I wasn't used to seeing him in this new light. How could I ever go back to hating him now that I understood him?

I sighed. I wished I could go back, even just for a second, to a time when my mind wasn't overflown with the sound of his voice, his piercing eyes, his hands, his lips...I would have appreciated it more had I known this was my fate.

Not a minute later, I stumbled across an empty room near the end of the hallway. Yet another room that seemed to be left unclean for at least a few years. I was hesitant to step in at first, out of fear that I may be in trouble if I did, but the boredom triumphed.

It was cold and dim inside. The windows were covered by long emerald velvet curtains. A pool of light escaped from a few holes in a worn-out curtain, brightening the wooden floor ever so slightly.

The storm grew louder. It was comforting and cleared my mind for while I glanced through the dusty books on the shelves, searching for a distracting read.

As I put a third violet book on the shelf a tiny smudged polaroid photograph slipped out and fell unto the wooden floor. I wish I hadn't reached for it, my heart didn't return to its normal rhythm for a while after I did so. My mouth turned dry, even if I had any words to say they would have to be left unsaid. I blinked quickly, distrusting of my own vision. Not possible. It couldn't have been...