10. Evidence Bags

warnings: mentions of suicide
y'all I know she cries a lot this chapter but like...try to understand what she's going through.

You immediately drop the note, fingers on fire, like the note itself is burning

You immediately drop the note, fingers on fire, like the note itself is burning. You stand up too quickly, stumbling backward into Spencer who immediately wraps his arms around you. Your mind races, heart beating quickly against your ribcage as you stare down at the hidden compartment, hot tears brimming in your eyes.

The three of you are quiet for a moment, and you watch as Hotch bends down, pulling a glove out of his back pocket. He puts it on and examines each of the items carefully before standing back up.

"I'm going to get some evidence bags out of the SUV. I'll be right back." He puts a hand on your shoulder, squeezing gently before walking out of the room.

You hear the creak of the stairs as he walks down them, and you exhale a breath you don't realize you've been holding. You turn around, Spencer's hands immediately moving to cradle your face. His hazel eyes look into yours, concern filling them as he tries to decipher how you're feeling.

"Tell me what's going on in your head, baby," he says softly.

"I think my dad killed my mom," you whisper, your lower lip trembling.

"She committed suicide," Spencer says gently, both of his thumbs brushing your cheeks slowly.

"Or he forced her to." You bury your face in the crook of his neck, unable to stop the small sob that leaves your throat.

Spencer wraps his arms around you again, pulling you against him fully. He rubs your back soothingly, planting a kiss on the side of your head. Your tears are short-lived, trying to collect yourself so Hotch doesn't find you crying in the arms of your husband when he returns. After a few moments, you pull away, and Spencer smiles softly at you, wiping at the tears on your cheeks.

"Hey, it's alright, sweetheart," he murmurs. "I promise, we'll figure this out, okay?"

You nod, your right hand wrapping loosely around his wrist. "Okay."

He leans in, giving you a soft kiss before pulling away. You give him a soft smile as you pull away, turning back around and looking at the hidden compartment. Hotch returns a few moments later with several evidence bags, leaning down to put the items in each one. You bite the inside of your cheek, your thoughts going a million miles a minute.

Your mom had tried to warn you. She'd tried to warn you about who your dad really is—and you'd never even gotten the note. You'd lived your life in ignorant bliss in a house with a murderer; all the while, the real secrets had been buried beneath the floorboards the whole time.

Spencer laces his fingers with yours and squeezes your hand. Hotch stands, holding the evidence bags, his intense gaze turning to you.

"What are you thinking?"