17. The Cognitive

"Where do we even start?" You ask, leaning against the table

"Sophia, we need you to write down every person you remember Joseph being close to. Even if you just heard their name." Hotch slides your mom a pen and a piece of paper.

"It wouldn't be from the early days, either," Morgan says. "It would be closer to when Y/n was in her early teens."

"When you guys were living in Gatlinburg," JJ says softly.

Sophia nods, staring down at the paper before pressing the pen to it. You stand up straighter, moving back beside Spencer. He wraps his arm around your waist, fingers rubbing small circles in the fabric. He's warm, the fabric of his blue sweater soft against your arm. You lean into his touch, watching your mom scribble on the piece of paper.

A part of you still thinks this is a dream—you want to wake up at home in Spencer's arms, your son climbing onto the bed to wake you two up. You want to shower in your own bathroom. You want to walk down the stairs, Rhiannon in your arms, smiling as you listen to Spencer putting Joseph into his clothes for the day. You want to feed your own kids and drink your own coffee. You want to watch movies with your family and listen to Spencer ramble off facts about them.

But that's not reality anymore—this is.

Sophia sets the pen down, pushing the piece of paper forward silently. Hotch picks up the paper, glancing at you. You break away from Spencer's touch, crossing over to Hotch, taking the paper from his hand.

"I'll get these to Garcia," you tell him, Hotch giving you a curt nod as you walk out of the roundtable room and toward Garcia's cave.

Your heels clack on the tile of the floor, the sound muffled when the floor changes to carpet. The walk to Garcia's cave is short, and you knock on the door as you walk in, Garcia swiveling around in her chair.

Her brows knit together; lips pointed down into a frown. "Honey, are you okay? I heard about what happened earlier."

You slowly nod, leaning against her desk. "Believe it or not, today is not one of the top five best days of my life, so. I've been better."

"Aw, come here."

She gets up, wrapping her arms around you. You smile softly as you hug her back, breathing in the scent of cherry candy and lavender—a weird smell, but not unpleasant. A hug from Garcia always seems to make you feel better—her touch is like magic. She pulls away after a moment, sitting back in her chair. You give a small smile, averting your gaze.

"I just wish...I wish everything was normal again. I feel like I'm living in like, my own personal hell right now. I know it's not hell because Spencer's also here, but I just...I want how it used to be." Your voice is quiet, and you look back up at Garcia, her eyes full of concern.

"Sweetie..." She reaches over, grabbing one of your hands with hers. "I know it sounds cliché and stupid, but everything happens for a reason. But you'll come out of this stronger. I know you will. You and Spencer both."