13. Phone Calls and Meetings

warnings: violence
also, jamie and kyle are good guys. i feel like i don't need to specify that, but they're 100% good. i will not tolerate any jamie/kyle slander.

"Hello, little dove

"Hello, little dove."

Your right hand grips the edge of the table, Spencer holding onto your left tightly. It's been four years since you've heard your father's voice—but it's the same as it was the last time you saw him at the Maple in Gatlinburg, eating waffles and celebrating you and Spencer's engagement. Your eyes flick up to Hotch's.

"Why are you calling?" You ask through clenched teeth, anger already bubbling beneath the surface of your skin, lighting it on fire.

"I just wanted to talk to my little girl."

"No," Hotch says firmly. "You have an ulterior motive, or else you wouldn't have called. Get to the point."

"How's Spencer?" Your father asks, ignoring Hotch's statement. "Is he doing okay?"

"Don't talk about my husband," you snap back. "You've put us through hell and back the past two weeks." You let go of Spencer's hand, leaning forward on the table. "Now what. Do. You. Want?" You punctuate the end of each word firmly, eyes fixed on the phone in front of you.

"I want to meet with you, little dove. And talk."

"Talk?" You glance up at Hotch. "What do you mean talk?"

"Talk. Speak with you. Converse. They all mean the same thing really."

You inhale deeply, Spencer wrapping his fingers around your wrist, silently telling you to calm down. "Why do you want to talk? If you get within a hundred fucking feet of me, I will arrest you."

Your father tuts and gives a low chuckle. "No, you won't arrest me."

"And why's that?"

"Because I have something you want."

Your blood runs cold, and you look down at Spencer. Panic flashes through his eyes and you look back toward the phone. You can't seem to form words, your chest tightening.

"What do you have?" Hotch asks, his voice low.

"Your kids really are cute," your dad murmurs. "Little Joseph here looks a lot like Spencer."

You feel tears prick at the corners of your eyes, your breathing picking up. "You have our kids? What the fuck did you do to Jamie and Kyle?"

"They're fine, little dove. Everyone's fine. Now, you're going to come talk to me in exchange for your little ones. I've never been big on hurting children. And in return for your kids, you won't arrest me. Got it?"

You look at Spencer, his grip so tight on your wrist, it's starting to cut off your circulation. He looks up at you, tears forming in his own eyes. He stands, and you can see his lower lip tremble slightly. You take a deep breath, trying to swallow the lump in your throat.