11. The Letters

The whole room is silent, everyone seeming to be frozen where they sit

The whole room is silent, everyone seeming to be frozen where they sit. You look at Spencer, his hazel eyes already on you. His face is worried, and you look back at Hotch. You're the first to break the silence.

"Great, so my dad is a hitman. Amazing. What else could life possibly throw at me right now?" You bite the inside of your cheek, inhaling deeply.

Spencer stands, rubbing your lower back. "I think we should talk about this tomorrow. It's getting late, and we've basically been working this nonstop for almost two weeks."

"I'm gonna agree with Spencer," Morgan says, standing. "I think we all need to get some sleep and work on this with fresh eyes tomorrow, okay? You and pretty boy can stay with me for the night."

"What about Savannah?"

Morgan smiles. "She's working overnight at the hospital."

Hotch looks at you. "Y/n, I think this is a good idea."

You exhale slowly, Spencer's light touch on your back seeming to anchor you to fucking reality. "Okay. Yeah. Let's take a break."

"I'm going to take a look at the letters tomorrow to try to decode them," Spencer assures you, giving you a soft smile.

"For now, though," Prentiss says, standing up, "we all need some sleep."

"Thank you guys," you say, giving them all a tight-lipped smile.

They all nod at you, and you grab your go bag, Spencer throwing his over his shoulder. He laces his fingers with yours, and the two of you follow Morgan out of the BAU. The three of you are quiet, and you yawn as you approach Morgan's car. Spencer laughs softly and you look at him.

"What?" You ask, admiring the way the lamplight shines on his curly hair.

"You're cute when you're tired."

"Shut up," you grumble, getting into Morgan's passenger seat.

Morgan laughs as he slides into the front seat, Spencer sitting in the back with the go bags. Morgan starts the car and peels out of the parking lot, glancing at you every so often.

"Are you really okay?" He asks quietly. "I know this might all be overwhelming."

"I'm coping," you say, biting the inside of your cheek. "I'm not as sad as I thought I'd be. Overwhelmed, yes. Sad, no."

Morgan nods, and Spencer leans forward, rubbing your shoulder softly. You turn your head and smile at him, putting your hand on top of his. Your fingers rub the silver ring on his left ring finger, the smooth metal seeming to slow your heart rate. After a few moments, you release his hand, and you hear him slide back in his seat. The ride to Morgan's apartment is short, and you practically fall onto his guest bed.

Morgan laughs, leaning in the doorway. "The room's all yours. Make yourself at home." He starts to walk away but turns back around, pointing at you and Spencer. "But don't make yourselves too comfortable, got it?"