18. Love

THIS CHAPTER IS VERY EMOTIONAL for Spencer and Y/N. Very emotional. Neither one of them knows what's going to happen in Roanoke. If you really wanna, like, cry while reading it, I'd start playing Pretty Boy by the Neighbourhood during their shower together.
warnings: mentions of death, mentions of dying, praise

"Mama, where are you and daddy going?"

You run your fingers through your son's curls, giving him a soft smile. "Daddy and I are taking a trip with the team."

Spencer kneels down next to you, smiling at his son. "You're gonna stay here with Jessica, okay? And watch over your little sister."

Joseph nods, grinning at you and Spencer. "Okay, daddy."

You cup your son's face. "I love you so much, sweetheart."

"I love you too, mama."

He walks into your arms, wrapping his little arms around your neck. You close your eyes as you hug your son, rubbing your hand up and down his back. Your lower lip trembles, and you swallow the lump in your throat as you release him. Spencer picks him up, squeezing him tightly, locking eyes with you. You can see the pain run through them—pain because neither of you know if this is goodbye or not.

Neither of you know if you'll come out of this alive.

Spencer sets Joseph down, kissing his forehead. "I love you, big man."

"I love you, too, daddy!"

Spencer ruffles his hair as he runs back to play with Jack. You lace your fingers with Spencer before walking over to Jessica holding Rhiannon on the couch. You take your daughter from her, giving Jessica a small smile.

You look down at Rhiannon, her big, hazel eyes looking up at you. Her tiny hand rests on your cheek, and you smile, leaning down to kiss the top of her head.

"I love you, sweet girl," you murmur, running your hand through her hair.

She smiles up at you, patting your cheek with her hand, almost like she's trying to comfort you. You hug her, pulling her fully against your chest for a moment before handing her to Spencer. She squeezes his cheeks together, and Spencer laughs, leaning down to kiss her forehead.

"I love you, pumpkin," he whispers to her, putting his hand over hers. He hugs her, closing his eyes for a moment before handing her back to Jessica.

"Thanks, Jessica," you say softly, giving her a small smile.

She nods, trying to smile, but you see worry etched on her face. "Good luck."

You grab Spencer's hand, leading him out of Hotch's house, shutting the door behind you. You're quiet, and Spencer stops you, pulling you to him. You bury your face in his chest, the lump in your throat making it almost hard to fucking breathe. Your arms are wrapped around his waist, his around your shoulders, hands rubbing along the top of your back slowly.