i. the cherry on top

AOIFE FINNIGAN WANTED THE EARTH to open up and swallow her whole

AOIFE FINNIGAN WANTED THE EARTH to open up and swallow her whole. Of course the person she would bump into, literally, would be Arden fucking Montgomery. Aoife had had quite enough of crying over that girl, thank you very much, and would quite like to get her the fuck out of her head.

"Oh, I— I'm sorry," Aoife apologised, flustered. "I didn't see you."

"You know, Aoif, for someone who likes to watch, you sure are unobservant," Arden smirked. Aoife blushed, embarrassed. People watching in the Three Broomsticks, under the guise of a drink between friends, had been one of their more romantic dates.

"S-sorry," Aoife stammered, looking down at the floor.

"It's alright darling," Arden dismissed, tucking a strand of hair behind her ear. Aoife swore that this girl was trying to give her a heart palpitation. "It takes two to tango, I bumped into you too." She smiled breezily.

Seriously, it was a wonder that the whole school couldn't here the thud of Aoife's heart against her ribcage.

"Um— yeah," Aoife said, curse her damn awkwardness this damn girl. Arden picked up the book that had fallen from Aoife's arms when they had collided.

"Romeo and Juliet, eh?" She said. "Thought you were all about happy endings, don't they both die?"

"Gee, thanks for the spoiler," Aoife said dryly.

"Everyone knows the ending of that," Arden said. "It's like the world's greatest tragedy."

Actually, the world's greatest tragedy could possibly be Aoife's life, but whatever floats your boat.

"Happy endings are unrealistic," Aoife shrugged. "Might as well stop reading about them."

"Don't be such a Mopey Mary Aoif," Arden said. "Lighten up a little."

Easy for her to say. She was the one doing the heart breaking, not the one with the heart broken. She wasn't the one with the best friend who was still crushed by the reality that her brother was dead, who had to face the fact that Lord Voldemort was back, who had to put up with her family refusing to believe it, choosing to listen to the stupid fucking daily prophet.

"Er — right," Aoife said, shifting uncomfortabley.

"Oi! Monty!"

Aoife breathed out as she heard Harley Davies voice, maybe there was a God.

"Later Aoif," Arden said, sauntering away, hips swaying.  Aoife blinked a few times to clear her head, resuming her walk to the courtyard.

It was mid January, the snow still lying thick on the ground, and usually Aoife would have just found a cosy corner of the common room or the library, but they were too crowded and too loud. She just needed a few minutes of peace, a little break from everything.