ix. the astronomy tower and arden montgomery

AOIFE HAD FOLDED INTO herself, hardly speaking a word to

AOIFE HAD FOLDED INTO herself, hardly speaking a word to... anybody really. She put on a brave face in classes, and kept her head high during meals, but as soon as she was out of a social settings, she disappeared. She usually hid in the astronomy tower, but that was now often occupied with studying O.W.L and N.E.W.T students, so she had taken to seeking refuge in the abandoned corridor on the third floor.

It wasn't totally abandoned, occasionally ghosts would float through, and a few teachers would hurry past every so often, but mostly, it was deserted. The windows had large sills, so Aoife would curl up in them with a book, a blanket often draped round her shoulder and a cigarette between her lips.

Ah, that was another thing. After her run in with Arden, Aoife had found herself drawn to her. It wasn't purposeful, but it seemed wherever Aoife went, Arden would be. Soon, she began looking for her. Aoife's feelings about Arden were still predominantly negative, but there was still a small, large, part of her that felt sorry for her. Arden had virtually no one. She had Harley Davies, and that was about it. Sure, people fawned over her, but no one really cared about her.

Her father was a known death eater, and since his breakout from Azkaban, Arden had become paler and thinner. People had begun to avoid her, and since she was used to being stared at for positive reasons, the sudden shift to horrid whisperings instead of pleasant ones wasn't exactly an enjoyable experience.

Being— whatever she was with Arden — had become a nightly ritual of sorts. They'd both float up to the Astronomy tower at various hours of the evening, exchanging pleasantries before they sat in silence, filled with cigarettes and sighs. Not an awkward silence, a silence where they both understood the other was stewing in their own thoughts.

Arden broke their silence with a short, humourless laugh, making Aoife jump. It had nearly been a month since she had spoken to Ginny, and she could not stop thinking about her. She could not get her out of her head.

"We're such mopers," Arden said, deftly placing another cigarette between her lips and lighting it with her wand. "Doom and gloom, that's us."

"What, you're the doom and I'm the gloom?" Aoife said, withdrawing her own packet of cigarettes. That was yet another thing, her daily run ins with Arden had led her to start smoking, which in all honesty was a slight issue that Aoife was ignoring.

"Something like that," Arden said, her lips twitching into an amused smile. "You have been rather gloomy as of late."

"Oh and you haven't?" Aoife snorted. "Last time I checked, you were the one who started smoking."

"Well last time I checked you were the one who joined in," Arden said. Aoife did not reply, thinking deeply as she looked across the grounds. The sun was setting, red and orange leaking into each other in the evening sky.

"Aren't your friends worried about you Aoife?" Arden said. Aoife stiffened.

"None of your business."