Chapter 2

Some of you might wonder how exactly it is that I maintain the life of a normal Hogwarts student while also needing blood to sustain me. Well, it's frightfully simple;

The house-elves, once done with some of the live produce, store the blood and bring it to me periodically. They're all mostly afraid of me, so they teleport in, leave the bottled blood on my nightstand and teleport out before they think I noticed them.

But I always do. It's so loud.

After my spat with Draco I went back to my dorm room and collapsed into my coffin. I know it's a cliché and a little gaudy for a vampire to sleep in a coffin, but there's a somewhat practical reason; it blocks out all the noise. As a vampire, I have terribly sensitive hearing and if even one of these godforsaken mouth-breathers snores it disrupts my rest. And the bags under my eyes are dark enough.

Whilst resting and scarfing down the blood on my nightstand, the only friend I had in this school, Willow Clarke poked hear head over the top and shot me a grin. Her forest green eyes met mine and I could tell she just could not wait to go on a long tangent, and I resigned myself to what was to come.

"Oh my God, I saw you talking to Draco Malfoy yesterday!" she said excitedly.

"You say that like I spoke to someone important." I said, rolling my eyes.

"Do you like Draco?" she asked as we went out of the Slytherin common room and into the Great Hall.

"If he were the last male specimen on earth, I'd ensure men went extinct." I shook my head.

"But he's such a hottie! Slender with those pale blue eyes and that smouldering stare. And his dad is so, so rich." she exclaimed.

"Are you sure you don't have a crush on him, Willow?" I asked, continuing down through the common room.

Unfortunately for me, Draco walked up with a smug grin that made me want to slowly pull out each of his teeth. How many times would I have to deal with him today?

"Seems like we keep running into each other, vampire. You know, I've always wanted to stake one of your kind." he said.

"Little boy, you are welcome to try." I fired back.

"Guess what." he said.

"What?" I asked, attempting to ensure my eyes didn't roll into the back of my skull.

"Well, Charlotte And The Fallout are having a concert in Hogsmeade." he told me.

"And...?" I said. I was partial to their musical stylings, but honestly, knowing this turd would be there made me second guess leaving the common room.

"Maybe I'll see you there, mudblood sucker. After all, you have to find your poor victims somehow." he quipped.

"Call me that again and I will feed you your teeth, Malfoy."

"Oh, you misunderstand. It's a compliment. Someone has to take out the trash around here, and I for one welcome any rabid animal willing to do it."

"I am not an animal!" I said, and grabbed Malfoy by the collar and lifted him in the air. I was so filled with rage and anger and bloodlust, it would have been so easy, I could do it, I could separate his smug little head from his smug little body and... And... And I took a deep breath.

Dumbledore fought for me to be here, because he believed I could control it. My temper. My bloodlust. I needed to control it. I didn't want to attract attention to myself. And Malfoy wasn't worth it, not by a long shot.

I put Malfoy down gently and he kept smiling that smug smile.

"Oh, my father will certainly be hearing about this. You'll come to see it my way, though. Maybe even tonight."

Draco pranced off and I could feel my temper flare up again.

"Keep it together, Ebony." I whispered to myself.

"We don't have to go." Willow said, putting a hand on my shoulder.

"Just... Give me a second. And then we'll go and have the best night ever and we won't even think twice about that... That... About Malfoy."

"Okay. We won't even give him a second thought. You have to admit, he's still cute, though." She said.

"I'll admit it when I'm dead." I said, and let out a small laugh.

I think I'd have lost my mind a lot sooner if it weren't for Willow. She might be the only friend I even have left in the world.

But she didn't have to deal with being a vampire in a school of witches and wizards. She got to be normal. I didn't.